• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Kats Project

Thanks guys! I'm sure it could look better if someone else did it though!

Funny you should mention the stock brace.. I was wondering if I could just cut those suckers off. They are kind of an eye sore. I couldn't tell though if they were part of the shock tower or welded on, but if it's just a matter of a drilling out some spot welds...well heck easy!

Aluminum foil? Why didn't I think of that! DUH! lol Speaking of wires, I know I saw them at auto parts stores... black ribbed wire covering. I think I'm going to get lots of that stuff to try to hide the ugliness of the wires. Maybe that will help keep a clean appearance instead of electrical taped covered wires all over the place. I figure if Gertrude is going to be flashing her parts to strangers, might as well try to make everything nice and neat so guys go oooh and ahhhh.

I saw that before, but figured it wouldn't help much since I don't have a battery in the engine bay. From what I can tell, the battery helps hide stuff and with no battery, you'll still see a lot of wiring. :confu

I used my angle grinder and cutting torch to remove my braces. 1- I wanted an excuse to use the new torch and 2 I didn't look close enough to see spot welds. My bay had and still has the engine in it too, so that may be why.

Also if you are relocating or have relocated the battery to the trunk, you may consider some sort of custom work in the battery box area where you have rust and need to replace anyway.....Just a thought.

Oh, you do have a really good case of "while I'm at it" disease!

You are in good company, we all do!

Mel

The battery is already in the trunk.. with a kill switch on the tail light panel. PO did it. I'm probably just going to leave it there, but clean up the kill switch. Its ugly looking. Need something less visible.
I'm not really sure what kind of stuff I can do with no battery in the front, other than leave the area empty. :shrug

Checked the status of my cowl vent... it was loaded on the FedEx truck at 8:47am and out for delivery! :yah

"Kats66Pny" said:
:wtf is that?? Sounds complicated and lots of work.

Sheesh... here are some PICTURES so your pretty little head won't explode...

dual-remote-filter-mount.gif

trd-1222_w.jpg

bypdsply.gif

And I am fully aware of the fact that it would be on the opposite side of the car; but it would still be cool.

That looks like it would just add more hoses through the bay if it got put in the empty space, but could probably relocate the radiator overflow tank to the empty battery space and where the overflow tank was put in that oil filter system. :confu

I got my cowl vent!

:yah :pbj :yah :pbj

NewCowl.jpg

Its both upper and lower pieces.

it's so new.. and clean..and RUST free!! Now, I need to get off my butt and take the old one out. :hide

I'm using a remote filter for the engine because the 429 put the filter in a difficult spot to remove. I also added the dual filter set-up for my transmission. Heat is an enemy of auto trans and this adds fluid capacity, filtering and cooling effect. So I have lots of filters under the hood.

Attachments

• engine.jpg
    242.6 KB · Views: 147
  • Picture 101.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 32
Yep. I used a dual remote set-up in my first 65. I always liked the idea of having the oil leave the hot engine and get a bit of cooling effect as it routed around. Plus the extra quart or so of extra oil was nice too. I had a huge chrome Moroso deep pan in that car. I had like 9 quarts of oil in that engine. I also had a drain plug about 3 inches of the ground!

"Kats66Pny" said:
I got my cowl vent!

:yah :pbj :yah :pbj

Its both upper and lower pieces.

it's so new.. and clean..and RUST free!! Now, I need to get off my butt and take the old one out. :hide

Kat it must be early Christmas for Mustangers! My new door skin and seat pan arrived yesterday. Gotta love that feeling of new sheet metal don't ya?!!! :yah

you may want to buy a few of these~ I'm thinking you have a few spot welds to cut. When I was at SureFire restoration near Intercontinental airport, I was watching one of his men drilling spot welds~ drilling with a very low speed. I forget why. Sometimes drilling with too fast a drill will go right through both panels I found, and you don't want to do that. Also spot welds are kind of difficult to figure out, you drill it, but still doesn't separate cause you drilled off a bit and have to use a chisle to separate that particular spot weld apart! You'll get plenty of practice and will have it down to an art after you're done.

http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsea ... ld+cutters

Finally got a chance to order the other pieces I need for the cowl and estimated delivery is April 7th. :yah

Got both the RH and LH side fender extensions
M150R.jpg

and this because the current one is rusted
COWL SIDE PANEL rt 12-1/4"x 19 1/2" 1964-1966
M133R.jpg

and I wasn't sure if I need them or not, but I think I do so got some plugs.
SIDE COWL PLUG 2 top of Cowl under Fender 1964-1966
HW127.jpg

Today I went and bought 2 el cheapo HF spot weld cutters, and another pair of jack stands. So close to having a new cowl on I could scream!

You will most likely end up ordering all new body plugs from bumper to bumper......I think they have a full set available.

You been practicing on the welder yet?

Heck no. I'm not touching a welder. LOL I'm getting someone who can weld and knows what they are doing to do any welding. :thu Its up to me though to do all the pre-weld stuff and get it ready.

So.....leave the new toy alone and start working...........lol

Didn't I see you post somewhere that you want to drive it by Sept or Oct?

I haven't messed with the new toy! lol Hubby did... sort of. He bought a radio and new speakers for it.

I'm slowly getting around to Gertrude!! I'm having fun Google searching for as much info as I can before I do anything else to her. Plus I try not to mess with dangerous tools/objects/etc when my husband isn't home. Just incase! And well yeah, I'm going to wait to put her on jack stands until later when he is home. He's at school right now and then after class we have to go look at another vehicle since the Firebird is our only car.

Back