• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Kats Project

"Dne'" said:
Are you going to be having your motor/trany ovehauled or are you just pulling it out to service the engine bay/cowl replacment?
dne'

Just to clean up the bay and repair the cowl. I see no reason to mess with the engine since it runs fine. Although we might go in and check the gaskets and replace any that need replaced, but nothing major. Why mess with a perfectly good running engine. lol I *might* replace the tran with an AOD if I found one cheapish I could use. Otherwise I'll keep the C4 and install shift kit or do whatever needs to be done in order to make the ratchet shifter work properly.

I'd put the motor on a stand and do what you said, replace gaskets, make it pretty or handsome(whatever ;) ), I looked into the AOD recently~ it just looks like more trouble than it's worth, however I would like a different rear gearing~ my take off is pathetic due to the 279 gearing, but my top end RPm's is great for cruising on the freeway! so, I think I'll just leave well enough alone and enjoy it for a while~ KISS (keep it simple)! The "while I'm at it" philosophy can get us into trouble and lead us to spending a lot of money! I think before I'd invest in an AOD, I'd invest in an AC system! Summer is near and it's going to be HOT!! I'm so glad I put AC!

"Kats66Pny" said:
Just to clean up the bay and repair the cowl. I see no reason to mess with the engine since it runs fine. Although we might go in and check the gaskets and replace any that need replaced, but nothing major. Why mess with a perfectly good running engine. lol I *might* replace the tran with an AOD if I found one cheapish I could use. Otherwise I'll keep the C4 and install shift kit or do whatever needs to be done in order to make the ratchet shifter work properly.

"Dne'" said:
I'd put the motor on a stand and do what you said, replace gaskets, make it pretty or handsome(whatever ;) ), I looked into the AOD recently~ it just looks like more trouble than it's worth, however I would like a different rear gearing~ my take off is pathetic due to the 279 gearing, but my top end RPm's is great for cruising on the freeway! so, I think I'll just leave well enough alone and enjoy it for a while~ KISS (keep it simple)! The "while I'm at it" philosophy can get us into trouble and lead us to spending a lot of money! I think before I'd invest in an AOD, I'd invest in an AC system! Summer is near and it's going to be HOT!! I'm so glad I put AC!

I have a stand (bought it a while ago) I'm going to keep it on while I make it all pretty again. As far as the trans goes... mine is opposite. It takes off like a bat out of hell. I've squealed tires on take off by accident, yet cruising on the freeway sucks. Anything over like 50mph and it sounds horrible, like it needs to shift but you can't. I can only assume the PO built it to run that way since he was building it for drag racing and not a daily driver.

Last summer I only drove Gert in the morning or evening during the summer. It's too hot to go outside anyway during the daytime so I might wait to do the AC after I've done all the necessary things. Depends how much the necessary things hurt the pocket! lol

"Kats66Pny" said:
I have a stand (bought it a while ago) I'm going to keep it on while I make it all pretty again. As far as the trans goes... mine is opposite. It takes off like a bat out of hell. I've squealed tires on take off by accident, yet cruising on the freeway sucks. Anything over like 50mph and it sounds horrible, like it needs to shift but you can't. I can only assume the PO built it to run that way since he was building it for drag racing and not a daily driver.

Sounds like a strong ring and pinion gear in the rear end, not a trans issue. Does one wheel spin or two?

Ok, I had the same issue as dne and chose to change out to a tko 5spd a 353 rear gear set. I have the best of both worlds now in Ed. He is still ugly but runs out good.

Mel

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Updating my thread with pictures. :thu

Attachments

• IMG_4324.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 81
  • cowlremoval02.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 79
  • emptybay.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 79
Holy crap, what happened to the cowl?

a flat head screw driver and a BFH.

I was chipping off the bondo to see what hidden treasure *rust!* lay beneath it... and noticed the upper cowl had been cut out in the past for what appears to be a previous repair. Except they only did a semi repair... they covered the rusted inside with some rubber-like coating instead of removing the rust and welding in a new patch panel.

Attachments

• bondo.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 18
  • cowlremoval01.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 18
Are you planning on removing that POS and replacing the entire cowl?

"silverblueBP" said:
Are you planning on removing that POS and replacing the entire cowl?

That was the plan. The whole underside of the cowl is almost completely rusted out so I knew before I even messed up the upper part that it would all have to be replaced.

That is of course if I don't a go get a rolling chassis with no rust that has a damn near perfect cowl vent, floors, etc that has about 70% body work done to it already . :roll

The more you post of the work ahead I start to wonder if a different shell isn't the best path for you. You have got some real serious rot issues to fix. If you don't either do the work yourself or get a lot of help from some skilled friends you are looking at a whole lot of expense just to get the rot repaired. You start adding up the cost of the metal and the tools and the welder...

You could be spending far more than they are asking for that painted shell.

While you try to figure out which way to go you would be doing yourself a favor getting signed up for a welding class somewhere. Never too soon or a waste of time to learn a skill.

Maybe. I don't know yet. I sent ya a PM about it. It seems like it might be worth checking out if the condition of it is how the guy describes it to be.

"Kats66Pny" said:
That was the plan. The whole underside of the cowl is almost completely rusted out so I knew before I even messed up the upper part that it would all have to be replaced.

That is of course if I don't a go get a rolling chassis with no rust that has a damn near perfect cowl vent, floors, etc that has about 70% body work done to it already . :roll

Gotcha!

Remember, there is nothing wrong with realizing the work needed is beyond what you have the time, skill or money to do. If you can get a shell in better shape that will allow you get the car where you want it to be, then sell Gert's shell to someone that really wants a "project".

http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/cto/2220177319.html

I almost went and got this shell. Cowl vents, floor... all good. No rust left on the car, body work is almost done. Need some minor work still. Sure it's probably better shape than Gert, but there's nothing on Gert that can't be fixed with the help of some car folks. I decided I'm not going to go full out on Gert. I'm going to do what needs to be done to get her back on the road and looking good... and when the time is right and I know more about Mustangs... I'm going to find me a Mach 1 to restore and put the large chunk of $ into it. I'll always keep Gert because she's my first mustang but I'm going to have my Mach for Sunday driving! :thu

Now that I have some tools finally to start working on Gert.... Whats the best way to tackle the engine bay? There some surface rust on some of the stuff. I guess take a wire brush clean/loosen up the rust, then clean it again and coat it with POR 15?

Yep....knock the rust off and decide if you want to strip all the paint. I would strip it. Then prep and paint.

If you strip it down to bare metal, POR is not recommended as it needs rust to adhere to the panel. POR = Paint Over Rust.

Back