• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Kats Project

Saw this on CL this morning and thought PATCH PANELS for around my windshield/roof that has rusted out area!! :confu http://houston.craigslist.org/pts/2324369626.html I emailed, asked for pictures.

Turns out it has rust is in the same spot mine does. Just not as bad.

rust_window2.jpg

A lot of surface rust which I can go sandblast the donor roof in my storage shed in the backyard. Maybe I could cut away another section a little farther down from the rust hole on the donor roof and still be able to use it to patch mine? :shrug

Attachments

• 008.JPG
    440.2 KB · Views: 235
  • 007.JPG
    427 KB · Views: 236
Last edited by a moderator:
I would say there is good cheap metal, but to use as a replacement you may be better off getting a repop patch.

Mel

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Today's work... straighten the metal out (got a little warped when the old cowl was removed) & cut out the rusted area's. I hope I didn't fudge anything up. :shrug

IMG_4625.jpg

IMG_4620.jpg

IMG_4621.jpg

IMG_4627.jpg

This is the primer I used, recommended by the guys up at Tasco. This stuff is expensive!
IMG_4623.jpg

You are making great progress, I am very impressed with you're dedication Kat, only thing I would suggest is to remember and use some stickers to keep the welding surface bare metal like Brian did from GPR's 65 fastback build thread where you plan the welds to go.

218.jpg

220.jpg

I personally don't like the weld through primer.

I just sprayed any bare metal down for now since the guy who is doing my welding said to spray it down with the weld thru stuff. Since he's doing the welding, I figured prep it like he says. If it's a problem, I can go back and sand it back off and do the sticker thing. Monday I'm going to go pick up some scrap metal to make the patches, and then hopefully by next weekend, have the new cowl in. I still need to prep the new cowl though and get it ready to get put in.

WOW that hole in the roof area is eww! Look at how thick that bondo is!! :wth After removing all the bondo I see why it was so thick. At some point that area was patched and by the looks of it, not a very good one.

IMG_4628.jpg

IMG_4629.jpg

But back to the cowl... thinking of what to patch it with, why not use part of the old cowl. There are some good areas left, and I don't need very wide pieces ... :confu

IMG_4630.jpg

IMG_4631.jpg

Cleaned them off. Test fitting one of the little patches with what I like to call nipple clamps because they are just so small. Hey this might actually work! LOL

IMG_4632.jpg

Now my question. As you can see I left the piece a little wider than it needs to be. Do I need to fold the excess over so that too can be welded to the inside of the firewall, or do I cut off the excess? :shrug
There isn't a perfect line along the top of the firewall. There is a gap, so that's why I'm not sure if I should leave the excess and bend it over and weld it.

IMG_4635.jpg

IMG_4637.jpg

Looks like I'm going to have to redo my patches. Supposedly butt welding is really hard to do. Time to go recut some metal! :part

Looking good Kat! Recycling at it's finest!! :thu

Do you know if your car originally had a vinyl top on it? Asking because of where the roof corrosion is.

I don't believe it did have a vinyl top. It might have had one at one point in time. I do know it was dark metallic green with parchment & gold trim.

I give up. This is frustrating. I decided to go to my original plan and just take Gertrude down to classicdoug's shop and have them mess with this and the cowl install.
Then I know it will be done right and I won't have to deal with the headache. :roul

Now the fun part..... removing the tranny / drive shaft so it will be easier to move Gert down to the shop. :part

"Kats66Pny" said:
I give up. This is frustrating. I decided to go to my original plan and just take Gertrude down to classicdoug's shop and have them mess with this and the cowl install. ...

So is that a "no" to my working conditions? :shrug

Back