• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Kats Project

"Kats66Pny" said:
Shoot.. that would save me like $200!! :confu
If you can get that repaired in a permanent fashion (correctly) for $200 you are doing extremely well. That or someone is being VERY nice to you.

If you can get that repaired in a permanent fashion (correctly) for $200 you are doing extremely well. That or someone is being VERY nice to you.

That's what was quoted. $200-250 (4 hrs or so) to repair that piece. :thu

I believe there is a painting involved in getting such a cheap price of the window repair.

You guys are horrible. LOL I'm getting a good deal because I'm paying cash and handing out lots of business cards. :char

Kat, Please tell me you replaced the head gaskets before you painted it.
Or are you going to play :roul

Nice job on the cowl to go with a have done eng. :roll

"Mach1Rider" said:
Kat, Please tell me you replaced the head gaskets before you painted it.
Or are you going to play :roul

Nice job on the cowl to go with a have done eng. :roll

I didn't replace head gaskets. After talking with the owner of the machine shop in town (recommended to me by car club folks), I decided not to touch anything, or take anything apart. We decided that if something screws up or breaks down the road, then that just gives me more reason to build a 351. :roll

"Kats66Pny" said:
You guys are horrible. LOL I'm getting a good deal because I'm paying cash and handing out lots of business cards. :char

Kat i paid 180 also to have my 2 holes fixed in my window frame at Jennings Restoration here in Jersey. He used metal and not bonda and had it done in a couple hours. This guys life is old cars. He works alone and has about 10 cars in his shop right now being restored. Some ppl may think that for $200 its gonna be a crappy job, I say it all depends on the person doing the work.

Attachments

• hole by window.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 281
  • 12-20-10 hole patch.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 233
"Daves69Coupe" said:
Kat i paid 180 also to have my 2 holes fixed in my window frame at Jennings Restoration here in Jersey. He used metal and not bonda and had it done in a couple hours. This guys life is old cars. He works alone and has about 10 cars in his shop right now being restored. Some ppl may think that for $200 its gonna be a crappy job, I say it all depends on the person doing the work.

Agreed. Here in town, there are several good body shops that would have done it cheaper than $200, but I've never personally seen their work. Only heard things about them from other car folks. I picked Doug's shop because I've seen his work, and I'd much rather give my husbands $ to a stangfixer. :thu

Oh and speaking husbands $.... I got lucky. They didn't have to use the side cowl piece I had bought so I can return it to CJ Pony and use that $ to buy something else. I'm still waiting for my Scott Drake Monte Carlo bar that's back ordered. :rant

Go back and take another look at the rot around Kat's windshield. It affects both the inner and outer roof structure and who knows to what extent other metal is damaged that cannot be seen in the few pics posted. If all the repairer is going to do is cut out around the hole and weld in a patch or two it might be just a couple hours work. If he is going to open it up more and get out all the affected metal, form all the new repair pieces and weld it all back up, in her car's case it is quite a bit of work.

In your case, Dave, the extent of rot was much less. They probably just cut out that rusted front edge and welded in new metal. Hopefully they took the time to clean up the hidden rust developing back into the roof area or it will come right back.

There are lots of ways to "repair" this kind of stuff. Some good some bad. Some last a year, others a decade. Usually the cost of the work is a good indication of what you can expect. Kat is fortunate to have someone many on here seem to know and respect doing the work. I dare say she is getting a "Fix" discount over what the normal repair cost might be.

100_4646.jpg

100_4647.jpg

100_4648.jpg

100_4649.jpg

100_4650.jpg

:yah :wor

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, Kat is getting a Stangfix discount. The work I'm doing to her car will be broadcast at every car club event and forum all over this town. I handed her a stack of cards and figure she'll come back for more. I'm getting word of mouth advertising and paying my bills.

She's got a long way to go on this car, but the pictures tell the story. Take a look at how the molding fits, without any bondo.

If you look closely down the drip rail past where I made the patch you can see that there's more bad patching to be taken out and replaced correctly. It will all happen in due time. She's doing a lot on a very tight budget, but it's very admirable that she's not trying to cut corners to make things go faster.

Doug

Very nice work, Doug. And kudo's to you for working with Kat to help her get her project moved another step forward.

The tangent about repair costs was really to just let everyone know that quality work carries a cost but that is worth every penny. When it comes to repairs like these cheap fixes are not the way to go (see the prior work done on her car for proof).

Well, Kat is getting a Stangfix discount. The work I'm doing to her car will be broadcast at every car club event and forum all over this town. I handed her a stack of cards and figure she'll come back for more. I'm getting word of mouth advertising and paying my bills.

Had those business cards with me out at the Sausage Festival last weekend too! Every Wed and Friday night I get folks always asking, where's your mustang and I tell them them I'm still fixing it up and having Classic Collision do work on it. :thu That age old saying..the fastest way to spread news (before internet anyway) was telegraph, telephone and tell a woman! LOL

She's got a long way to go on this car, but the pictures tell the story. Take a look at how the molding fits, without any bondo.
That is awesome work! :wor There is no way I would have ever been able to mold that piece to fit that good.

If you look closely down the drip rail past where I made the patch you can see that there's more bad patching to be taken out and replaced correctly. It will all happen in due time. She's doing a lot on a very tight budget, but it's very admirable that she's not trying to cut corners to make things go faster.

Yeah I saw that. Proof right there you never ever know what's hiding under the paint!! :rant I'm still amazed at the amount of bondo just in that area alone. Scared at what I might find when I start removing paint all over the body.

The tangent about repair costs was really to just let everyone know that quality work carries a cost but that is worth every penny. When it comes to repairs like these cheap fixes are not the way to go (see the prior work done on her car for proof).

Agreed! I'm very thankful for Doug and his shop and the work they are doing. :wor :wor :wor.

:thu on the body guy's work. Now on that note I am asking you to have some second thoughts on your engine.
Why not replace those head gaskets now while its out and easy to do?
I know its your car and you will do what you want, I just hate to see you pull out a page from my been there done that book.

:shrug... I just can't sit and watch while you go thru all of this work bringing it back to life and not do them.
Not only will it help keep the leaks down and the engine compartment clean, But you then will know just what the internal parts condition are in.
Doing it right the first time keeps the cost down and the :rant to a min.
It also can add to placing all the other parts back on much easier, like assembling a puzzle without searching for the pieces.
I'm willing to walk you thru a step by step system to help, but if you set on not doing it I will sit and watch for the out come. :part

Oh and there's no before picture, but there was a small rust hole on the drivers side window that was fixed as well.
IMG_4813.jpg

She's came home today!! :yah
IMG_4812.jpg

Now to start back on the engine bay.

Back