• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

The ***"Official"*** StangFix Drag car

Im in!
I have a ton of parts (Old stuff) and new.
I have two 71 Mustangs (I know they are huge) I would give away for the project. I also have 9" rears, maybe a toploader 4 speed, C-4 auto, etc...

Got a set of 18" Coys that look like the E car wheels. The centers are black with a chrome knock off. Not too much of a drag car wheel but would look kinda cool.

What motor?
I have probably 10 5.0 liter engines that need gone through.

If someone will prep it I will paint it including materials.

"Sluggo" said:
With Craig's blessing and a general consensus from the staff members, this project has the greenlight to become a group project.

There are a couple of generous offers of help/materials on the table that can't be elaborated on at the moment.
this is unbelievable guys, no matter what just the thought of it is more than I expected.
"RyanG85" said:
Craig, I have just about everything from the 67 parts car behind my barn. Everything that hasn't rusted away that is. Let me know what you are looking for...
Thanks Ryan, I already owe you a fuel filler for the trunk hinges I'm using on the car! That look like it has a lot of the little stuff I might need!
"silverbluePT" said:
Craig, I think I have an extra G-Force 6pt camlock harness, new never used. It's a pull down lap belt where you tighten it by pulling into your crotch instead of away. If you want it, it's yours.
That would be AWESOME!
"ClassicRecreations" said:
Im in!
I have a ton of parts (Old stuff) and new.
I have two 71 Mustangs (I know they are huge) I would give away for the project. I also have 9" rears, maybe a toploader 4 speed, C-4 auto, etc...

Got a set of 18" Coys that look like the E car wheels. The centers are black with a chrome knock off. Not too much of a drag car wheel but would look kinda cool.

What motor?
I have probably 10 5.0 liter engines that need gone through.

If someone will prep it I will paint it including materials.
DUDE, that is so cool!!! :10

I've been home this week so I have been tinkering in the evenings. I got a nasty old passenger fender that probably can't be saved but I stuck it on for now. I don't have a lot of the clips for the bolts so it's not really assembled with too many bolts but it looks like a car again!
The rear valance is beat up but I think it can be fixed, the front is NOS. The grill is from my Ecar and so is the front bumper (don't worry Jon, I have more).

index.php

index.php

index.php

Jason you are the man!

I'll be in OKC October 21-24. Jason, does that work for you? Do those dates work for any volunteers?

Craig, can you get the car to OKC by then?

"Sluggo" said:
Jason you are the man!

I'll be in OKC October 21-24. Jason, does that work for you? Do those dates work for any volunteers?

Craig, can you get the car to OKC by then?
umm, I don't know... what's the plan? this thing needs a lot of body work. I don't think I can have it ready by then.

"tarafied1" said:
umm, I don't know... what's the plan? this thing needs a lot of body work. I don't think I can have it ready by then.

Plan?

October might be jumping the gun a bit. Post a bunch of pics of the body damage. That will give us an idea how much work it will be.

OK, well I am in Salt Lake right now and tomorrow I have to go to Idaho Falls. When I get back to my garage I will check for parts. I have a steering wheel and a drive shaft. I am not sure which car it is from though. I think it may be from my C4 out of the 65....

I have tons of stuff sitting around, but most of it is heavy and would be spendy to ship...

Um if you are building a drag car forego the hood latch and use pins instead. You will loose some weight too.

Um, I have somewhere in the garage a kit to relocate the battery to the trunk that is new.

Mel

roof is pitted bad, my thought was to paint it with bed liner to look like a vinyl top. Between John and Ryan I can get the trim.
72_09_09_10_9_47_33_0.jpg

72_09_09_10_9_50_05_2.jpg

has some holes too
72_09_09_10_9_50_05_3.jpg

right rear quarter needs a skin at least
72_09_09_10_9_50_05_1.jpg

72_09_09_10_9_50_04_0.jpg

left quarter is going to need some work
72_09_09_10_9_52_28_1.jpg

72_09_09_10_9_50_05_4.jpg

72_09_09_10_9_52_28_2.jpg

72_09_09_10_9_55_21_2.jpg

left door is rough but salvageable
72_09_09_10_9_52_28_4.jpg

72_09_09_10_9_47_34_4.jpg

72_09_09_10_9_47_34_3.jpg

right door is better but not perfect
72_09_09_10_9_52_28_3.jpg

both frame rails have a buckle over the axle, I was thinking I could cut out the rails from the POS, they are okay
72_09_09_10_9_52_27_0.jpg

cowl is okay but I will need to drill out the spot welds for the dash-ectomy
72_09_09_10_9_47_34_1.jpg

front end is real solid
72_09_09_10_9_47_34_2.jpg

trunk is rough but usable
72_09_09_10_9_55_21_1.jpg

before all the help offered, I was just going to get it together and do my best body work, then paint it white. I figured I could then focus on drive train and as time passed get better parts, maybe like a FG hood and trunk lid as money allowed. If we are going to try and do the StangFix theme, I'd like to take my time and do a good job so it will last. I mostly only have weekends since I'm usually traveling and some weekends will be devoted to family stuff so I was thinking it would be a good winter project and maybe be ready to paint by spring or summer. If we are going to plan a group get together, which is a really cool idea, I should try to get some of the real hard stuff done like the quarters and patch the doors, etc. I also need to get all the parts like hood hinges, door bushings so I can line everything up. You know the drill. I think October is too aggressive.

Last edited by a moderator:
"guruatbol" said:
OK, well I am in Salt Lake right now and tomorrow I have to go to Idaho Falls. When I get back to my garage I will check for parts. I have a steering wheel and a drive shaft. I am not sure which car it is from though. I think it may be from my C4 out of the 65....

I have tons of stuff sitting around, but most of it is heavy and would be spendy to ship...

Um if you are building a drag car forego the hood latch and use pins instead. You will loose some weight too.

Um, I have somewhere in the garage a kit to relocate the battery to the trunk that is new.

Mel
Thanks Mel, I think I got a drive shaft from Jon and maybe a steering wheel from Daves69coupe. Good point about the hood pins.

When I get home, I will look and see what I have....There is so much in the garage, you just never know...

Heck I am sure I can find a part or two to donate to the project.

Mel

A carbon fiber hood would be nice and it would shave some weight.

Wow.... things here are moving quickly. Craig, I've got a rear valance and steel hood (non turn signal) in MINT condition. I've got a set of '68 fenders that need work, but nowhere near as much as the one you pictured. I've got a pair of '68 V8 motor mounts, a couple windshields/back glasses/door glass/etc., etc. I'm pretty sure I have front to rear wiring harnesses from 2 donor cars. I've probably got a LOT of the little things you'll need.

The hard part is getting all of this stuff to you...

Thanks Mel!

"daveSanborn" said:
Wow.... things here are moving quickly. Craig, I've got a rear valance and steel hood (non turn signal) in MINT condition. I've got a set of '68 fenders that need work, but nowhere near as much as the one you pictured. I've got a pair of '68 V8 motor mounts, a couple windshields/back glasses/door glass/etc., etc. I'm pretty sure I have front to rear wiring harnesses from 2 donor cars. I've probably got a LOT of the little things you'll need.

The hard part is getting all of this stuff to you...
Thanks Dave, yeah I'm in the middle of nowhere!
"ClassicRecreations" said:
Fender, Valance, and door on me. I can hold them here until it gets to my place.
That's awesome!!! In the mean time I will use what I got to fit the car together and line up the quarter panels.
"Fast68back" said:
I have a plastic battery box for the trunk
sweet!

Craig, where exactly is the middle of nowhere again?

I have a compressor and blast cabinet, and can detail anything for you that I have before it gets sent your way or if you want to divert stuff coming to you through me I'll detail it first then get it to you.

Dave, how about I stop by your place on Sun Oct 17th (I'm at Camp Lejeune that next week), I need to get a windshield wiper motor from you anyhow, and I'll grab that and the stuff for Craig and take it home with me. I'll clean it up and then make a trip to Craig's a weekend in Nov to get the stuff to him or combine it with other stuff I have and just ship it.

The battery relocation kit I have is from Summit and has the plastic box as well.

Now to just get home so I can ship some of this stuff off.

Mel

Back