• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

The ***"Official"*** StangFix Drag car

I wish I could provide more parts but I have pretty much cleared them out as I go. I have some stuff you may need but not sure if you want them in a drag car. I have window regulators, original gauges, door handles (I think), a couple hi pressure fuel pumps that can handle 500 hp, misc hardware, crank/waterpump/alternator pulleys that are polished. Let me know if you need any of my crap.

I'll make the graphics in illustrator. Anyone have access to a plotter that cuts vinyl?

We would be cutting masks for paint, not stick on graphics so there is no need for high end UV resistant vinyl.

I have an aluminum 2 row radiator that is a good replacement for the stock / brass 3 row.

It worked fine in my car until I got a chance to upgrade to a 4 row.

You can have it if you want it but it does look a little rough, works fine though.

WOW, this is crazy guys!!! I can't believe the support. it's just way more than I expected. I actually just was looking for deals on some parts I might need and WOW have you guys stepped up to the plate!
Sig, I live in Russellville Kentucky just North of Nashville TN, about an hour drive.
I suppose I need to make a check list, I have had offers for so many things, some may be duplicate. I don't want anyone to have to ship large or heavy stuff. I'm trying to find things locally. I was thinking just the small stuff I would need help locating.
Sluggo is doing so much behind the scene, he asked what my plan was, I was going to PM it to him but I'll just post here.

My plan:
As you all probably know, my red car has been an ongoing project for 20 years. I did a little at a time and sometimes just waited as life happened. It's been painted for about two years now and we have enjoyed driving the wheels off of it. I don't street race anymore but still have had the desire to take it to the track, you know "the need for speed". While I built it to be quick, I wanted a reliable touring car so it's not set up to race.
My wife also has watched Pinks and other shows as well as gone to the races with me. She has seen first hand some nice cars hit some oil and plow into a wall or flip. She first worried for my safety but also that I might destroy my dream car. While we are not poor, we don't have the funds to go buy stuff like this. It took almost 20 years to build the first one and she didn't want to see anything take it from me. So I convinced her I could build a "race" car on a budget. A car that would be okay to race. Now I have never raced on a track so I wanted to start mild and get a car that I could take to "test and tune" nights. Once I get comfortable with my skill level we could play with more power, etc.
Obviously a fox body or newer car would be better but I love the classic Stang so if I'm going to do it, it has to be a 67/68. So I had the POS Dave gave me and I thought rather than make a trailer, I'll make a race car from it. But it's too far gone for even that. Then John posted his A code parts car. I PM'd him and we discussed it, then struck a deal. I planned to combine the two. I knew I would be missing stuff and it would need work but I had my base. The objective I had was to collect the parts to assemble the car as cheap as possible but make a solid shell. I figured being on a budget I would try to paint it myself but even it it was just primer at first, that would be okay. I like the rat rods and retro look of gassers, so when Sluggo posted the paint scheme, I loved it.
I wanted to build a SBF since that would be cheaper than a BBF. I knew I would have to spend some money on the engine, trans and rear axle. I have a Traction lock 4.11:1 9" pumpkin for 31 spline so I knew I'd most likely spend a $1000 on a housing and shafts and just use drum brakes on the rear. John from ORP was quick to PM me with offers and links to advise on springs and stuff I could do cheap. A local trans shop said they rebuild the C4 with a shift kit for $400 and a loose converter is ~$150. I got some good heads and a running 351W smog motor. I will need intake, carb, ignition, cam & lifters, etc. My plan was not even rebuild the short block but get it running. I know the engine is sound since I have owned the motorhome for 10 years or more. The car has to have full windows to be legal at the track and doesn't need a cage until I gets real quick. I figured I'd buy one of those $300 4 point cages from Mustang Plus until I need a certified one built.
Like I said, I never expected all the donations nor do I think I deserve them. I am only making a toy here. It has to be on a budget as I have 3 kids and a wife and they still come first. I only wanted this as a selfish old man because "I" want to race! So now you all have come together to help in so many ways. I'm honored you guys even put up with the likes of me here let alone want to help me do something like this. I love the fact that it has turned into one of those group projects. I have had the chance to meet a lot of you in person and feel like I know the rest just as well. It's really like a family, only better! I will be proud to put ORP and Classic Recreations, and most of StangFix on the car. Even a list of all the name on the car somewhere would be cool. It will be fun taking it to the track and posting how it does. I didn't think it would or could happen fast. I figured it would take a couple years. At the pace it's going I don't know what will happen. I hope I don't let you all down if I have a lot of trouble with it or wreck it. Anyway, I'm so excited for all the support.
I'll make a list of what is need and what is been promised.
Thanks all so much

When you get the drag car done we all need to pitch in and throw some parts Kat's way along with a little technical assistance.

I sure can feel for Kat! I have been in the same boat. My car should have been crushed but as I got started I couldn't give up. I certainly would like to see us come together for her! It can be discouraging when they need so much work.

Craig, you happen to have a 67 and a bunch of us have 67-68 parts. If I had extra 66 pieces laying around, they'd be headed to TX already.

"sigtauenus" said:
Craig, you happen to have a 67 and a bunch of us have 67-68 parts. If I had extra 66 pieces laying around, they'd be headed to TX already.
I know that now for sure, this bunch is simply unbelievable! I can't say enough about how I'm feeling. I just can't.

Craig, I've got a couple Holley 600cfm single feeds that you're welcome to use until you dial it in or use either permanently. I tried both of them on my car and then came across a BG I couldn't pass up so they're just in the cabinet.

Seems like we'd almost be able to get a 'hands across America' thing going to pass large parts along with as many members as we have spread across the country or to a specific location like CR.

I think if you left the trunk lid clean that would be a cool place to list contributors signatures, maybe there's a way to do an online stencil of your signature and send it to be transferred to the trunk? Just make them all the same size and list them or arrange them loosely on it? Maybe signature with your screen name in print next to it?

Once my '67 is running I'll be glad to give you something to run against, you always go faster when you're competing....
Jon

"sigtauenus" said:

I hadn't thought about the year issue. The radiator was in my '66...not sure if the '67 is the same?

If it is and you can use it you're welcome to it.

I can either ship it or if you're going to be seeing Sluggo any time soon I could probably get it to him since he is just across town from me.

Dave, how about I stop by your place on Sun Oct 17th (I'm at Camp Lejeune that next week), I need to get a windshield wiper motor from you anyhow, and I'll grab that and the stuff for Craig and take it home with me. I'll clean it up and then make a trip to Craig's a weekend in Nov to get the stuff to him or combine it with other stuff I have and just ship it.

Sounds good Sam. I'll be hungover, but I'll be home that weekend. What we really need though is an itemized list from Craig detailing exactly who is donating which items. It doesn't make sense for us to gather and then have you haul un-needed parts home and then halfway across TN/KY. Once we have a list of needed items it will be a lot easier for me to start gathering them.

"Jonk67" said:
Seems like we'd almost be able to get a 'hands across America' thing going to pass large parts along with as many members as we have spread across the country or to a specific location like CR.

That's a great idea. Its 700+ miles from me to Russelville, 12-13 hour drive. Anybody here in mid-western NC/VA that would want to take a hand-off on parts?

"Jonk67" said:
I think if you left the trunk lid clean that would be a cool place to list contributors signatures, maybe there's a way to do an online stencil of your signature and send it to be transferred to the trunk? Just make them all the same size and list them or arrange them loosely on it? Maybe signature with your screen name in print next to it?

How about one of these for contributiors? (the stangfix tag)
prototypeX001-04.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
"daveSanborn" said:
Sounds good Sam. I'll be hungover, but I'll be home that weekend. What we really need though is an itemized list from Craig detailing exactly who is donating which items. It doesn't make sense for us to gather and then have you haul un-needed parts home and then halfway across TN/KY. Once we have a list of needed items it will be a lot easier for me to start gathering them.

Anybody else use Google docs? Its an easy way to share information and allow common access to the document with real time updates. Create a spreadsheet on Google listing parts needed, then beside it guys who are invited in (invites go out via email, which would need coordinated) could list their name and their location. For example, if I have hood hinges and somebody next town over has hood hinges, might as well take the ones closer. Conversely, if I have hood hinges and somebody in TX has hood hinges, but somebody on the east coast is headed west, I could meet them and pass off the parts. Either way, it would be a way to coordinate who has what and also coordinate who it makes more sense to collect the part from based on distance, travel and/or shipping concerns. This assumes parts of equal quality, otherwise quality should trump distance.

hmm.... sounds cool, don't know how to use that.

here is the list I have so far, there are some duplicates. (red, I already have it or it's in the mail) I'll try to keep it up to date

Trunk Hinges – Ryan NY
POS 67 doner shell – Dave S NC

Hood latch – will get hood pins
Hood Hinges - (may have a lead on some locally), sigtauenus VA, Sluggo has some too TX
SBF motor mounts – Dave S NC
Windshield - local deal fell thru, still need windshield
Brake pedal assembly (manual disc brakes) - JonK TN
Drive shaft - C4 to 8� rear - JonK TN
Shifter linkage rod - JonK TN
Steering wheel – Daves69coupe NJ
Engine compartment Wiring – Dave S NC
Steering column bracket - JonK TN
Shock tower to cowl braces – JonK TN
Export brace - sigtauenus VA
Radiator – Rusty Red Al 2-row TX or garner 67 BB brass CA
Seat belts/Harness – silverbluePT Harness in the mail KS
Spring Perches – ORP WA
Right front fender – Jason OK
Rear valence – Jason OK
Wheels – Jason OK
9� housing – Jason OK
Sluggo Grille – Sluggo! TX
Battery Box – Mel Utah or Rick TX
Stainless steel fender bolts – Janschutz TX
Trunk latch – Janschutz TX
Stainless brake line – Rick TX
Old school gauges - Mel Utah
All kind of other little stuff available from Ryan’s 67 parts car, John-(ORP) 68 parts car and Dave S. midnight auto parts supply (JK)
Electric fan - KO67 TX
Graphics design - Sluggo TX
Vinyl Mask - ?
Paint - Jason OK
Harness restoration - Midlife FL

"sigtauenus" said:
Anybody else use Google docs? Its an easy way to share information and allow common access to the document with real time updates. Create a spreadsheet on Google listing parts needed, then beside it guys who are invited in (invites go out via email, which would need coordinated) could list their name and their location. For example, if I have hood hinges and somebody next town over has hood hinges, might as well take the ones closer. Conversely, if I have hood hinges and somebody in TX has hood hinges, but somebody on the east coast is headed west, I could meet them and pass off the parts. Either way, it would be a way to coordinate who has what and also coordinate who it makes more sense to collect the part from based on distance, travel and/or shipping concerns. This assumes parts of equal quality, otherwise quality should trump distance.

That's an awesome idea!

Document started. Start sending me e-mail addresses

"sigtauenus" said:
That's a great idea. Its 700+ miles from me to Russelville, 12-13 hour drive. Anybody here in mid-western NC/VA that would want to take a hand-off on parts?

How about one of these for contributiors? (the stangfix tag)
prototypeX001-04.jpg

prototypeX001-04.jpg

that's a no brainer right there :pbj

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a electric fan to contribute if you want it. Otherwise, I am willing to contribute cash or legal services.

"ko67" said:
I have a electric fan to contribute if you want it. Otherwise, I am willing to contribute cash or legal services.
Do I need legal services? anyway, thanks. I think the electric fan would be a good idea. This thing is getting carried away! I can't believe it.

"ko67" said:

Lol.....A waiver might not be a bad idea just in case it gets wadded up. :craz

I think the legal services should be for the donate-ers. Just in case Craig wads it up and tries to blame us :craz

Back