• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Wipers! stopped

Thanks. I talked with Mustangs PLus and the guy there gave me the part number (AMK B-13164). So now to order it.

When you find it, it'll be in the last place you look, natch.

Now waiting on those clips.
The new motor has Metric mounting bolts! Oh well...doesn't really impact anything.
Even a HD has metric..hahaha

New question.

Old motor wires......BLACK/WHITE/RED/GREY (faded color?)

New Motor wires....BLACK/WHITE/GREEN/BLUE...& a BLACK thin wire with holed spade on end (ground?)

So where do the which goes where?

RED to GREEN or BLUE?

No documentation with the new motor? The wire with the ring terminal would seem to be meant as a ground. Outside the black and white wires a fair guess would be the other two colors provide the alternate wiper motor speed inputs from the switch. Is that what the red an faded gray wires show on the electrical diagram for a '67? I don't have one in front of me.

No docs in motor packaging.

67 schematic shows #56 BLUE next to #58 WHITE...which agrees with the OEM connector

but the NEW connector has those two connectors at opposite corner on the diagonal..
meaning WHITE is next to RED...not BLUE

and by default the new GREEN wire is the BLACK wire on the old connector..

I'm confused

Forgetting about wire colors, does the new motor come with the wires already terminated in a connector? That connector matches, in shape and orientation, with the original? Meaning it can only plug into the car harness one way. If that's the case, fair to assume since you bought it for a '67 and the connectors match up you are good to go just plugging it in. Without taking the motor apart no way of knowing where each wire leads internally which is what you would need to do to compare it to the stock wiring diagram.

Nope...new wire are in a new connector....which is NOT like the '67 OEM connector

Call NPD and ask them to clarify the wiring connections. They should have this info on hand. Otherwise you will need to open up the motor to see where each of the wires terminate internally to be absolutely sure of proper connection.

OK I got it.

WHITE------WHITE
RED-----RED
BLUE-----BLUE (faded original)
BLACK-------GRENN , by default.

cross my fingers.

Well good news and bad.

Connected motor wires. Good.
Connected motor black ground. Good
Connect new wiper switch. Good.

Turn ignition to power....move wiper switch to first click
Interior lights start to blink with a zzzziiz/click noise.
Switch to second position....motor starts up fine.
Switch to first position....zzzziz/click/blink..motor stops
Switch to off...motor returns to neutral

Maybe loose connection in quick release box to switch. Take it all apart and tighten up a couple of the female spades. Attach them all separately without box. Turn on...still same noises in first position. Motor will run in second position. And returns to neutral when switch is in off.

The zzziz/click noise seems to be coming from down low in the front of the car......well at least down by my feet. Could be the interior light there by steering column?

So this must be the electrical gremlin that is always talked about.

Any guesses?

Doesn't the car have a pedal switch for the washer? It's tied into the wipers to sync it or something I recall while trying to find info on your motor wiring earlier. Might be to do with that set-up.

Pedal switch seems all intact. Noise is not coming from that.

Part of the noise IS coming from the main switch itself. I took the quick connect off and attached the spade connectors directly. Noise still comes from inside the new switch...BUT.....

there is another noise. The Ziiizzz that I mentioned. I swear its coming from the engine side of the firewall. This must be a short which is somehow only affecting the low speed of the motor. Is that possible?

And asking the only other person here...my wife...to listen for a noise...what noise?.....is useless.

Anyone want to drop by when this pandemic is over? I need someone who at least knows cars and a bit of the electrics.

ARRRRGHHHH! Okay it's not that bad.;)

Back