• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Hows your front end stance?

Thanks John

A wheel with 4.25" of backspacing fits with no mods to the upper arm. If you grind on the ball joint dome a bit, you can use a wheel with 4.50" of backspacing. On my next project I'm using a wheel with 4.75" of backspacing. The ball joint dome is cut back and braced, looks like this.
That back spacing, is that true for 65 on? I thought 67's didnt have an issue 4.5" spacing. At least i haven't noticed anything rubbing.

dsc03734.jpg

dsc03746.jpg

Fronts are:
Wheel: American Racing Torq Thrust M 17" x 8" with 4.5" BS
Tire: 245/40/17

Original stock springs with 1+ full revolution cut off. New OEM lower arms. 1" front sway bar, ORP (special GO) roller perches. That's it.

I even have my fender lips intact, though they are scary close, but have never rubbed once yet. And I check often.

Last edited by a moderator:
[member]
"lethal289" said:
Thanks John
That back spacing, is that true for 65 on? I thought 67's didnt have an issue 4.5" spacing. At least i haven't noticed anything rubbing.

I've put them on the early cars with no rubbing also. It depends on the type of upper arm used. The ball joint dome is what gets in the way, not the ball joint itself. The spindle to upper ball joint dome dimension is the same on all of the cars given they both have the same upper arm. Some upper arms have less ball joint dome than others. The aftermarket upper arms for the 67-up cars use a 3 bolt ball joint while the 65-66 use the 4 bolt ball joint. Most of the time, the 3 bolt arm has less ball joint dome.

[/member]

Arning drop
NPD 480 1" lowering springs
205/60 tires
KYB shocks

Picture095a-1.jpg

Picture083-1.jpg

They cost a lot but the FPA headers are no lower than the oil pan. I have two sets of them and they are the best fitting header on the market IMO. I just wish they made them for the Falcons with a small block. We run Hooker Supper Comps on our Falcons and they are a drag.

I have John's 1" drop 480lb GT springs--still had to cut an 1" off to get the front end down (aluminum heads, intake, water pump, radiator, no a/c, power steering).

[member]You know the saying, without pics, it never happened. Well the springs showed up today. Hope fully this weekend i can get a chance to put them on, and stretch the legs a bit. Funny thing, I bought the springs from mustangs unlimited, and they come in a mustangs plus box, with a Mustangs Unlimited receipt. Are the two places sister stores or something? I got some other things too, and the smaller Plus box was inside a bigger Unlimited box. Odd.

166_12_11_09_6_27_30_0.jpg

166_12_11_09_6_27_31_1.jpg

At first glance, these appear to be smaller then my stock springs compressed, of course ill take photos and have a write up later.[/member]

Mustangs Plus is the supplier to most of the vendors for springs. They have them made here in Calif. and shipped out. Both coil and leaf springs. When you buy mid eye or reverse eye springs, that's where they come from. They also have their own sway bars made in Calif. by a place that makes sway bars for diesel trucks. We sell a LOT of their springs and sway bars. Addco is another source for sway bars and Eaton springs is another one for springs. I like the quality of the Mustangs Plus springs so we stick with them for our kits.

"lethal289" said:
Thanks guys for all the pics. Keep them comming. Lets see what the rest of you did!

I looked for full pics, but couldn't find any, I had them all on that damn mustangmods site! Since it's put away, not much chance of me taking any new ones either. Besides, if you've seen one garage king, you've seen them all.

"silverblueBP" said:
I looked for full pics, but couldn't find any, I had them all on that damn mustangmods site! Since it's put away, not much chance of me taking any new ones either. Besides, if you've seen one garage king, you've seen them all.

Maybe you need to bite the bullet, and build a better gallery here mark. What did you do to get the wheel tucked away like that?

74_06_08_09_1_39_25.JPG

620# Grab-A-Track Spring with 1/4 coil taken off.
Arning Drop
16x8 225/50
Fenders rolled as much as possible
Roller Perches

It's a tiny tire! Those are the Nitto NT-01, 225/45-15 that I have on there now. The 215/60's and the 6.00-15 Goodyear Bluestreaks take up all the space.

Arning drop, dbbl roller perches, stock upper & lower arms, adj strut rod, 620# Mustang+ springs (no cut), rolled fender lips, Koni shocks.

Goodyear
600-15bluestreak.jpg

Nitto
74_06_08_09_1_39_25.JPG

"Fast68back" said:
Cool picture!

Thanks, it was taken in BFE outside of Hollister CA. The place was so remote, we pumped the gas FIRST, then went inside to pay.

Be careful not to cut too much coil off of the springs. There are cars pictured within this thread that have tire rub and/or extreme header collector to speed bump clearance issues. Your goal should be to get the ride height as low as possible, but also where there is NO tire rub (under any conditions) and the car can be driven w/o trepidation of encountering an imperfect road surface (pot-hole/speedbump).

"lethal289" said:
Craig 1, how wide are your wheels up front? Did you do anything to the fenders?

205/15's in front
225/15's in back

No altering of the fenders.

Back