• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Possible new hood

Thanks for the tips! I'll make sure to check if it's got a metal frame or not. Since it's already on a 66 currently, I guess I'll also be able to see how it fits on that one, if it's warped or anything.

"Kats66Pny" said:
Thanks for the tips! I'll make sure to check if it's got a metal frame or not. Since it's already on a 66 currently, I guess I'll also be able to see how it fits on that one, if it's warped or anything.

The fit to each car is different. What fits theirs, may not fit yours the same.....

All of my glass hoods, I think that there are 5 out in the shop, all have fiberglass frames. I've never had any problems with any of them for fit or warping. I've either run the shelby hood springs or just yanked off the springs and used a proprod to hold up the hood.

"Daves69Coupe" said:
Do it, we need another member of the big scoop club lol

May or may not get that one hood from the other 66.. but one day I will have a big scoop on a coupe! :vic

"Kats66Pny" said:
May or may not get that one hood from the other 66.. but one day I will have a big scoop on a coupe! :vic

Well then...I have the hood for you. This is my old 66 coupe that I used for drag racing. I got rid of the car, but kept the hood.

"66gt350" said:
Well then...I have the hood for you. This is my old 66 coupe that I used for drag racing. I got rid of the car, but kept the hood.

You drove in public with that thing?? :beat :lol

"Kats66Pny" said:
You drove in public with that thing?? :beat :lol

Not on that car...it was a track car only. But I did use that hood on my fastback for a short time, when I had the 351W with a victor jr. intake and a 1" spacer under the carb. With that combo, the fastback didn't see the road too often -- that motor wasn't built for the street, the power band on the cam was from 4000 to 8000 rpms. Boy was engine fun!!!

"66gt350" said:

Same scoop I had on mine.... I loved that one. I like the way they look! It was a springtime yellow 66 coupe with a white scoop pop riveted on.

Mel

"Daves69Coupe" said:
Do it, we need another member of the big scoop club lol

Count me in on the big scoop club!

coffee_ice_cream.jpg

Won't cowl hoods dump hot air into the cowl vents thus upping the temps in the interior? If not disregard my comment.

"68bucks" said:
Won't cowl hoods dump hot air into the cowl vents thus upping the temps in the interior? If not disregard my comment.

I believe at low speeds, yes. Drive fast and the air is forced into the engine bay from the windshield.....or so they say.

I'm no expert (as we all know), but how does that even make sense? Does it create some kind of negative pressure under the hood or a vacuum where it sucks the air in?

For the record, the following photograph was found using google, and it is seriously one bad arse looking ride.

There is a high pressure area if wind that collects at the base of the windshield. This area of wind will actually blow down and forward under the cowl opening of the hood as speed increases.

There are a lot of articles across the net about it.

"AzPete" said:
There is a high pressure area if wind that collects at the base of the windshield. This area of wind will actually blow down and forward under the cowl opening of the hood as speed increases.

There are a lot of articles across the net about it.

Actually, Pete, you have it exactly backwards. The area at the base of the windshield is a low pressure area, so a partial vacuum is created. That's why it is easy to draw in air through the cowl. For the engine, it allows cold air to be drawn in to the carb area (only when moving), not to let heat out. At idle, or when the car is not moving, hot air escapes from the engine compartment through the rear hood opening.

Been a long day for me so it would not surprise me if I had things a little backwards. Been at the doctors all afternoon checking out some of my possible problems.......

Not the straight jacket and padded room again Pete.

Sorry, all kidding aside, hope everything checks out okay Pete.

I always thought with the scoops near the windshield.. air would flow under the engine and then out through the scoop, but I guess what Midlife said is correct. :lol

Back