• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

1952 F1: The Garage Roommate

Select from the following six options, derived from two basic designs w/ colors and options.

• A

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • B

Votes: 7 53.8%
  • C

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • D

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • E

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • F

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Since we are all apparently sitting around at our computers today, give me some opinions. I found a basic aluminum fuel tank that had the dimensions needed to fit where I wanted it to go. While waiting for some metal bits to arrive trying to decide how I want to lay it all out. As shown below, this arrangement fits nicely between the stock frame rails. The two cylinders are storage tanks for the air ride system. I want ample air so I can raise and lower it a couple times at least before the pumps kick on.

So question. Do as shown? Put both cylinders together on one side of tank? Rotate all three 90 degrees, in which case the tank would be rearward and cylinders side by side closer to the cab. When choosing an option give reason for choice. I want to make sure I am not forgetting some aspect. I can move the fuel inlet, etc. any where really just means more TIG work.

I'm thinking of having the wood bed hinged so it can be raised to show off the handiwork below otherwise none of this matters much.
IMG_4678.jpg

I’ve never had air ride so I can’t say I would know if you missed anything but from a purely aesthetic point of view I like what I see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Like for everyone, the last couple weeks kind of went off the rails around here. Fortunately, I am still working if just strictly from home. I try but there really isn't much time to steal away to the garage as one might think. Not complaining, if there is work to do that means business is still happening which in the end is what we all want.

Anyway, it is fortunate I am the way I am and tend to over-think everything. In the case of the truck chassis, so much of each piece relies on so many other decisions in terms of how the full package comes together I would have been doing and re-doing stuff endlessly otherwise. Figuring out how to fit the fuel tank, air tanks, twin pumps, air suspension components and the triangulated link bars has been...fun. I've got it worked out, though. Finally.

Now the boxing plates I've made can get welded in. Next a custom crossmember and shock mounts can be installed. Then the 4-link and lastly the tank mounts, tanks and then all the plumbing lines. With luck, all that can happen in the next few days. Plan is take all kinds of progress pics as things move along.

Much of last night was spent cleaning up around and under the truck in anticipation of all the work to come this weekend. I couldn't resist though and got the four boxing plates tacked in the rear frame rails. May not seem like much but they are perfectly square with the frame, side to side and vertically which will make the 4-link install much easier. Or at least it should! Working with a 70 year old truck things tend to be "off" a bit here and there. Very likely just the way it was made by old Henry.
IMG_4698.jpg

That is not a very deep C notch. I assume it will still allow you to drop it low enough to suit your plan?

That is not a very deep C notch. I assume it will still allow you to drop it low enough to suit your plan?
These trucks rode really high with the factory set-up. I'm notching it as much as possible without having to raise the bed floor. I'd have to go back and look over all my notes and measurements but pretty sure this is in the neighborhood of a 6" drop from stock. I'm not looking to have the frame hit the ground like some do. Just want a nice low, raked stance.

That'll make an awesome "patina" truck. Finding one that old, intact with decent metal is quite a find. I'm betting there's some serious rot where the running boards meet the fenders but easy fix for you. Is it a 49 or 50? Love the door signage!

It’s a 49. Has signage on the tailgate too. There’s a ton this stuff over here where I live now. Just gotta know somebody who knows where it’s all at. One reason I made really good friends with my realtor!

Good to see you back around Steve, where are you at now? Know you were talking about moving. Still doing much with the petro and signage?

I've been trying to talk the wife into this one I found on Craigslist.

It's a 46 Ford on an s10 chassis.
c0d0fc7b76639b3a34ff80cc6b07849c.jpg

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

I've been trying to talk the wife into this one I found on Craigslist.

It's a 46 Ford on an s10 chassis.
c0d0fc7b76639b3a34ff80cc6b07849c.jpg

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

By the look of the air horns on top, this is a project that needs saving or taken behind the barn!

It seems while everyone else is stuck at home twiddling their thumbs I can't seem to steal an hour anymore for the garage. My days are spent on conference calls and WebEx meetings dawn to dusk. Losing my freaking mind! Weekends haven't been much better either. Hoping this week will start a new trend but not super confident it will. :mad:

Back