• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

1952 F1: The Garage Roommate

Select from the following six options, derived from two basic designs w/ colors and options.

• A

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • B

Votes: 7 53.8%
  • C

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • D

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • E

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • F

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Hey Terry, have you seen Bitchin Rides S7 E5 that featured a 51 F1 that Dave performed extensive surgery on? I liked the color which he called Bad Blood once, and Ruby Reign another time. Unfortunately for me he sells both colors. He calls it a candy pearl and its a base coat and clear, not three stage. They do some amazing stuff that is way-way above my pay grade.

Hey Terry, have you seen Bitchin Rides S7 E5 that featured a 51 F1 that Dave performed extensive surgery on? I liked the color which he called Bad Blood once, and Ruby Reign another time. Unfortunately for me he sells both colors. He calls it a candy pearl and its a base coat and clear, not three stage. They do some amazing stuff that is way-way above my pay grade.
I don't remember seeing them do a '51. I'll have to search that one out. Thanks. The only 51/52 F1 I've seen done on a show was a panel truck done on Texas Metal which is not something I would typically watch. Not a fan of their style but they do some really nice metal work with frames and such. I take a pass on the 30" wheel crap though.

Every time I see this thread having a new post to it, I keep thinking to myself "He's got a real 1951 Formula One race car in his garage? KEWL!!!"

As usual I am quite derelict in keeping up with this thread. To be honest, not much has really been happening. Been in a funk with the lockdown and now winter. Hard to get motivated. Then the government started handing out free money again with talk of even more to come! Of course, I don't get a penny of that shit but this is the wrong forum for that crap. What I CAN DO is pretend they sent me cash and spend some money anyway. So I did that. The way I seem to work is if I keep spending cash on a pile of crap in the garage I eventually get off my ass and put it all to good use. At least that's always worked in the past.

So wanna see what I got? Pretty stoked about it. I know many of you will be too based on the last thread topic. Straight from Aussieland. The casting quality and machining are really good. $$$ but very nice. The hub piece was sourced here.

Blower castings.jpg

I also had a great local Craigslist score. Found these cast and polished air cleaners for a steal. They are like brand new. Big 4" diameter so they should allow plenty of airflow. Every once and a while you get lucky. They're gonna look mighty fine resting atop a set of new 97s!
air cleaner 2.pngair cleaners.jpg

So today's project, if time allows, is to make a drawing of the finished engine so I can experiment with different paint colors and finishes to figure out which way to go. If I decide to polish up the manifold or other cast parts I'll likely farm that out this time around. It's very time consuming and dirty work and with winter here and the wife's car in the garage not a good idea to do it myself again. Same goes for powdercoat. Really want to buy an old oven and do it myself but space isn't there right now.

Keep an eye on this thread as I'll probably post up some renderings and maybe a poll to see what the Fixers recommend!

Nice parts, but it appears you are missing a piece that goes between those two manifolds......don't worry I will send you all my stimulus money to pay for it.

In anticipation of receiving your stimulus money, Ken, I went ahead and spent our combined equivalent on something a little more representative for a better mock-up. The box and book equal the height of the blower so this how it will actually sit. Just over 22" from top of the block!
mock up.jpg

Another day and more money spent. Stumbled across a set of leather BMW buckets that I couldn't pass up. They are like new with full power functions. Without the headrests they measure up very similar to the seating height and width I wanted for the truck. It may not be fully completed and certainly won't be painted but I will be driving this thing come summer. At least around the neighborhood.

You'll need a set of forward-looking cameras to see where you're going and/or what animals you're about to run over.

Looks more like you’re compensating for something else.

Mark

No doubt he is compensating for being friends with a big-eared househusband. He needs all that to try to up his cool factor. I am not sure this is even enough!

Back