• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

1952 F1: The Garage Roommate

Select from the following six options, derived from two basic designs w/ colors and options.

• A

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • B

Votes: 7 53.8%
  • C

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • D

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • E

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • F

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I honestly thought this would have been easy given I have already got most of the big stuff on hand and shared with you guys by now. So what's in the mystery box? The solution to the last big question on this build. Craig won't have to shoot over to TN despite his generous offer.

benchseat2.jpg

With all the work on the steering column and now the dash modifications not too mention the need to get an actual steering wheel, really wanted to get the seating squared away so I could make sure everything came together in the most comfortable way for me (the driver). Always better to have stuff in place to verify fitment and clearances etc. rather than just trusting measurements.

I will be building the mounting frame/riser myself so I can tailor it to my needs. I want to include some storage underneath the seat which will probably be in the form of rollout drawers on each side. Have to see just what I have to work with in terms of space. This truck has a very tight cab so storage space needs to be found wherever possible.

No fenders. Moonroof, huh? Have to think about that one. Maybe T-tops! Can't believe Mr. Purple mustang is giving me crap. And I did work all day but I'm back chained to the desk again for the latest round of COVID shutdowns so keeping the Fix open is kinda easy.
Really? and you said I took a cheap shot the other day.

I am going to have to go with rear axle. Hard to see from the perspective in the picture, but it could hold a narrowed 9", disc to disc?

ok.....I was still guessing! I should have read the rest of the thread before responding to your insult.

We are going to need details on the seat, where from, how wide, how many cup holders, is it comfortable, will {.} fit inside without his ears flapping in the wind, etc. Some of us may be in the market for similar set ups.

Some of you may recall that I have been trying to nail down the seat options for the truck for quite a while. Originally, I wanted to go buckets and even bought a couple different sets to try out but I came to realize a bench would just fit better with the aesthetic I am after. I found a new but never used TMI bench down in TN but the guy wanted a lot (fair price) but by the time I got it here the total cost would have been that of a new one (roughly $1500 for a stock black unit from Summit). So things stalled for a while.

Once I started doing the column work though it became apparent that having the actual seat in place would make the rest of the interior fabrication much better. Ergonomics are everything when it comes to sitting in a vehicle and enjoying the experience so having everything located off the driver's actual position only makes sense, right? So the hunt started anew. There are very few options if one is looking to buy new. Outside of TMI it gets thin really fast. I found sources for good frames but by the time you pad 'em and skin 'em your get north of $2k really fast.

The truck cab is very narrow. Like 51" narrow, door to door. So finding something out of an existing car and recovering is also tough. Seems a common go to for many is a middle or third row seat out of mini-vans or small SUVs. Issue there is these seats are built to be so they look like back seats! Functional but not nearly up to par for the look and finish I want. This new one has a split back for individual adjustment and comfort where as almost none of the back row seats offer any type of recline.

So I ended up back at TMI. This is what they call their "Universal" bench in a 48" width. That extra inch on either side I saved vs the stock bench will get used up by custom door panels instead of the dead flat cards in it when it left the factory. The lower seat cushion and base of the stock seat is like a foot tall. With the seating surface of this one at the same height I will also gain an easy 4-6" under the seat as an added bonus. I ended up spending more than I would have preferred but I got the seat quality and design I wanted and a material color/look that is much more suited for my "vision" of the finished interior.

Now that it's here I can build the mounting frame which will let me sort out the floor modifications needed for trans clearance so I can finish that up. I can also then figure out the lower dash transition into a floor console. One thing is always dependent upon another in this stuff!

Really? and you said I took a cheap shot the other day.

I am going to have to go with rear axle. Hard to see from the perspective in the picture, but it could hold a narrowed 9", disc to disc?

ok.....I was still guessing! I should have read the rest of the thread before responding to your insult.
Already have a 9" for it. The one originally put together for the mustang. And yes, it has disc. Looking back through the thread it seems I failed to share much about the back half of the suspension. I'll get back to that soon.

So I will be needing lots of material(s) to finish the interior and will need some of the same that was used to cover the seat. I found a source for the EXACT material for a third of what TMI wanted. Lesson here is spend some time on the Web and phone and you will save cash. Maybe a lot!

UPS just dropped off an order of steel I've been waiting on to finish up crossmember work and to fabricate the seat mount for the new bench seat. They wanted over $350 for one from the manufacturer with tax and freight. Out of their minds! For about $50 in steel I can build a better one. Should be a fun weekend.

So I'm really trying to narrow down a selection for the steering wheel for the truck. As I get a bit further along with the dash modifications I will post some pics but suffice to say I will be reading the gauges through the wheel so design is important so as not to obscure the view. To this end, I have found a custom wheel manufacturer which has some solutions that I really like. Much like I did with the mustang, I want the truck to have an overall appearance of being generally period correct but there being subtle nods to modern convenience and tech. One are I can really pull this off is the wheel by going with this company ( CON2R.com).

So let's have some fun with this one. I'll post a poll with a variety of options I built on their website and see what the gang around here likes best. A couple points to consider when reviewing the poll options and pictures. Wheel color choices are made by section and front and back. In all options given, I went with brown as the back color. On the face of the wheels I used brown and an antique white. These two standard colors go very well with my interior design material and plans. One could just as easily use another standard color they offer or request a fully custom paint color. They also offer these colors with a special urethane color coating that gives the surface more of a "grippy" feel but does not scratch or mar at all. As a bonus, it also dulls the finish as compared to the glossy, polished look of the as molded colored plastic. Just some detail and stuff to think about as you consider the options in the poll. Oh, one more thing, some of the wheels have a half-ring in the inner wheel area. All the wheels shown could have that or also a full ring that would have it mimic the lower portion in the upper. I chose a half-ring as the upper portion would surely obscure the gauge.

Anyway, I'll shut up now and put the Poll post together now!

I assume the inner rings are non-functional? It would be cool if they were old style horn rings!

Also, your poll will not work well here as it put it on the first page of this 11 page thread. No one will see it. Maybe make an new thread for the poll?

I assume the inner rings are non-functional? It would be cool if they were old style horn rings!

Also, your poll will not work well here as it put it on the first page of this 11 page thread. No one will see it. Maybe make an new thread for the poll?
Agree but at least it can have "the look". I lean this way as without the ring it gets to looking too old (like 40's or earlier). Sad part is the ring, either half or full, adds $125 to the cost! If I go without I would go with the style with slanted spokes to give less of a "basic" look. Also will be having a unique, one off horn button created at some point. Seems like a lot of money and thought for something so basic but it is the one piece of the vehicle you are in contact with and looking at the majority of the time.

Agree but at least it can have "the look". I lean this way as without the ring it gets to looking too old (like 40's or earlier). Sad part is the ring, either half or full, adds $125 to the cost! If I go without I would go with the style with slanted spokes to give less of a "basic" look. Also will be having a unique, one off horn button created at some point. Seems like a lot of money and thought for something so basic but it is the one piece of the vehicle you are in contact with and looking at the majority of the time.
I really like the look of the extra ring.

Now to race back up and down this damn page to vote in the poll!!

Back