• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

1968 Coupe WDT

the top of the E-kit is fit and ready installed the lights for a trial fit, the bottom needs sanding and mounting studs to sit flush with the fenders, but it feels good to get some "eyes'' in her. I've also decided with your help to fill in the bottom light holders w/ kitty hair and use an inboard style grille
SAM_0434.jpg

SAM_0433.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Put some K2 on 3/4 of the car should have some paint/clear on it in 2 weeks... :steer Let the wet sanding begin.
S1050027-2.jpg

S1050028-1.jpg

S1050026.jpg

did you ever get that door to fit better? We had to build up some areas on mine with welds and grind others to get the gaps relatively even.

When i was priming i was messin around with it i can get it pretty straight good thing i didn't tack the skin on there is alot of play, the gaps will need to be built up by the front, im going to try to get it done this week. I've been hypnotized by staring at my gallon of Azure blue for over 2 years...

Oh forgot to tell you tarafied, i'll be working on the hood this week too! have 2 good hoods gonna do some surgery on them, even if i get 2 wrecked hoods at least im gonna try my idea is to split the hoods in the middle and add 3-1/2'' to the original hood length, take the skins off the frame and crimp 1/2'' down under the other and use some high speed glue/tack welds to hold then tack it back to the frame, will put up pics if my work isn't too NR'ed.

Hey, i missed your thread till now. I just got caught up on the whole thing. Good job saving another coupe. Some things i noticed: i think the gauges are sweet. Your console looks great. What kind of foam did you use to finish the sides? Do u have any finished pics? What color was your car before the tear down? You said candy, metallic, and cobalt. What color is it going to be? Anyway great job. This is something to be proud of for sure.

"lethal289" said:
Hey, i missed your thread till now. I just got caught up on the whole thing. Good job saving another coupe. Some things i noticed: i think the gauges are sweet. Your console looks great. What kind of foam did you use to finish the sides? Do u have any finished pics? What color was your car before the tear down? You said candy, metallic, and cobalt. What color is it going to be? Anyway great job. This is something to be proud of for sure.
Thank you,Your console build gave me alot of help! I've been trying to get the side foams for the console for a while but i think i can convince mustangs unlimited to sell me some(crossed fingers) the color was House of Kolor Metallic Candy apple cobalt blue. The paint i'll be laying on soon will be Azure blue w black super snake stripe & Gt350 side stripes

Block sanded over 15 times! I tried Evercoat Featherfill G2 and will never use it again-there was nothing feather about it.., A couple coats of primer and it's looking pretty good another skim of spot putty and it's done.

You can see from the side profile the hood gap isn't the best but I'll live with it for now..

The only body work i have on this Mo Fo is side exhaust pieces! :yah :yah

Everyday I get closer to Azure blue :steer
IMG_3797.jpg

IMG_3798.jpg

IMG_3799.jpg

wish i could have got the curve better, If i do it over which i probably will I'm gonna split it down the middle and add there But It's good enough for now..

Finished the side exhaust FG and laid some Mar-hyde (3rd coat) The hood will need hammer/dolly action on the front passenger side but, It was 36 out today so i took it outside to wash it,thought i'd throw some pics up so i can remember this calf puke stage, glad it will be over soon :yah
IMG_4496.jpg

IMG_4498.jpg

IMG_4489.jpg

IMG_4500.jpg

I think it's looking pretty good. It's hard to see the hood issues in the pics, I think it turned out nice.

Thanks! I really can't wait for paint but i want to get the body as chip/dent/crack free as possible because i know it will bug me later, I've already seen the future with this car 5 or 6 people stopped today and said Oh man I thought that was a True Shelby eleanor but the back is wrong- :hs these kids can't tell what kind of car it is unless they see a badge/emblem on it, then they get back in there Neon/Subaru and drive away probably talking smack, not to toot my own horn but, I rebuilt this car so far by myself I plan on doing EVERYTHING the only thing I want someone else to do is bore and balance the motor, These kids that buy a newer car are really lucky they don't have to mess with restoring anything- one of my mustang friends bought a 94 GT and put a S/C on it BANG! he's got a cool black GT in one week DONE! Just seems lazy to me, but i'm sure he will think different when he blows my doors off, almost makes me want to stroke a 460 and crush his dreams with my "old junk" :rant

Looking good. Can't wait to see some color on there.

It got over 40 by me today. You actually have snow up by you? We had a nice green Christmas. Not that I'm complaining.

Just flew home from Milwaukee and it was nice for Wisconsin :hide
It was in the upper 60's here though so I drove the Stang to pick the boys up from school.
Anyway, I also get a lot of questions about what my car is or if it's a real Shelby, etc. etc. Almost everyone asks if it's a 65 or 66??? :char
I say go for the 460! You can get a stroker kit for 521 and crank out ~600 lb ft @ ~3,000rpm ALL Motor!!! It won't move when you stomp on it but you can really shred tires with it!
I let my 14 year old drive mine home from school and he kept teasing the throttle. I told him to stomp on it and he did his first burn-out :thu
He let off and stomped the brakes and killed it because it scared him but his mile wide grin was worth it!

Yeah we still have snow :bomb I hate it I wish it was warmer i cant believe it was that much warmer over by you rappid??....
And craig that is awesome your son enjoys old cars! my first burnout was horrible-school parking lot fire dept. was called and i got a nice 300$ fine Public display of power....

Back