• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Back for re-restoration;)

You're so right Terry! Seems like every time I order parts, it's in the hundreds or an occasional thousands:( I guess the next costly item will be the hydraulic clutch. Once that's installed, I should be rocketing ahead with progress(haha). The interior is not really a worry as we can drive our rides with a bale of hay for a seat, no carpet, etc! Granted you have a bale of hay around! lol

I thought sure I was going to get a lot done today, but took Gary to get an MRI of his R hip and low back, really seems like the days are just passing quicker than I remember, when 3:00pm rolls around, I feel like the day has past!

Anyway, got the passenger side header on, I'll touch it up with some Eastwood high temp paint some time. Headers are a pain but sure look neat! Played with the headliner; sure would like to get that out of the way. I'd rather replace a rusty floor pan than do a head liner! ;)
I did leave the #1 spark plug loose cause I know the static timing is off, besides I'll be spinning the oil drive to pump oil before starting it.

Just found out Gary is going to a meeting at 8:00am tomorow, I'm going to be alone! I'll have to figure out what I can make the most progress in before going to bed!! ;)
dne' ;)

Headliner installed, just a little tug here and there will get the remaining wrinkles out, then the front glass. Of all things, I have no twine/rope to put the rear glass in:( The front was easy. Let's see, oh, I was complaining about installing the headliner, it wasn't as bad as I remember, but I don't want to install another for a while! ;) I did install the console bracket in case I decide on an overhead console; probably won't, but they sure look Fine! I think I'll just spend the remainder of the day cleaning, my garage is cluttered up, I'm ashamed:( However as parts are installed, it's making room by parts going into the stang! ;)

I have some glazing compound to seal the glass, but I'll wait until I'm ready, especially on the trim around the glass.

I used a urethane like our fellow Fixer Rich at MustangstoFear suggests to seal the glass to the rubber on the outside. Very happy with how easy it was to use and the results.

Last edited:
Gosh Terry, Thank you! and crap, I bought some stuff already and it was kind of expensive, so I'll have to use it:( I should ask questions before I buy stuff!

Though not perfect, I did better this time than I did the first time.

This is the last headliner that I installed, on my Triumph;)

Your headliner look really good. I've never done one in a coupe but know its a bit harder in the rear than a fastback. Very well done. Impressed! Don't sweat the glass install. You've likely used the same stuff the factory did and it works just fine and has for decades. I just shared it because you were in process and I found it a good new solution.

I've been dying to post some kind of progress! Today I installed some rear speakers, door panels, carpet, etc.

Finished the Speedometer I was working on~ pretty much rewired from a 67 to a 68 obviously with with a new bezel and lenses, I did nothing to the gauges themselves except rewound the speedo back to zero. I'll see what happens;)

The carpet showed up today, so I spent a little time on it; not done. I have some nice blankets I'll put over it to protect it.

Still working with a guy on the hydraulic clutch~ that has really slowed progress:(

Thanks John, Terry! and yes, John, I hope you can stop by for a visit, I won't work you too hard! lol

I keep my eyes open on Craigslist, and low and behold these popped up less than 10 minutes from us! So, now just need to order covers/ foam. I just didn't want to buy aftermarket seats, so these should look good!

Those look like 65/6 seats. You have a 67. They will fit. Mine are 66 seats in a 67. I don't have them covered in 67 covers. Not sure if 67 covers will fit. I put 66 pony covers in black on mine.

I am replacing them with a more comfortable Procar seat that I got from Angelo Outlaw.

Mel

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Thanks Mel, seems like covers between 64.5 and 68 fit the same covers, but I'll find out next week. I guess I could call CJpony and they could tell me.;)

I bought this 3:55 posi from a fella on eBay, should be here next week. He just had started getting new cases vs the old cases. He said I can just go with the older cases, but for the extra 100 bucks, why not go new! I believe it was 859 + 65 s/h. Then when returning my old unit, I use the box he sends with a prepaid Fed ex tag and get 75bucks back. I've been in frequent contact with Jack, the builder. He's been building them for 30+years and his beautiful daughter helps by sandblasting and other shop stuff! When I get it installed, I'd like to put a plus in for him. I believe in the family owned/operated business.
dne'

https://www.ebay.com/sch/rattrapracing/m.html?item=323611250908&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

I did the 355s in my 65 in an 8". I had a tko 5spd and loved it. Perfect gearing.

Mel

awesome Mel! Can't wait to install it! just to get it out of the way and start seeing about a driveshaft~ugh;)

awesome Mel! Can't wait to install it! just to get it out of the way and start seeing about a driveshaft~ugh;)
I bought one for the 65.

I had one from a galaxie shortened for the 67.

Mel

Well, got around to the filler neck. Terry, thank you for the link to the place to get the flapper! ;) I tried, well I did, grind down the circumference and guided the flapper up towards the filler hole, then balanced it with my fingers, the drilled a hole to hold it in place. A few days later waiting for JB weld, I 'glued' it into to place, then after that cured, then removed the screw holes then JB'd them closed~ see what happens;)

Last edited:
Today, I hope to figure out how to install a clutch interlock switch/clutch switch. I have a switch from a miata left over, I think I can just make a little bracket for it, but figuring the actual swing or the bottoming is unknown so I guess I'll have to make it very adjustable.

Yesterday, I hooked up the battery and followed Midlife's initial instructions. All is well, with ignition turn to start the solenoid clicks! ;) I don't have the starter wire hooked up. I don't have the wiring "installed" yet, but I suppose I can now.

Then midlife sent me this to help me with the wiring for bypassing the footpump washer thing. the new wiper motor from eBay was not colored quite the same, but I finally got that going and can install the wiper motor back up on its perch.

Last edited:
Kudos to you for getting that heavy chuck installed in the air that way! Way to use all the tools available...including Gary!

Back