• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Johnny M - E-car build tread

You'll notice that small chair in the first pic...my legs got sore from standing staring at it!!!!!

I bought the kit from Concept one. According to the concept One spec.

# New Delphi aluminum power steering pump
# Power steering reservoir - Exclusive Concept ONE billet aluminum pump mounted Mini Reservoirâ„¢

Johnny

"daveSanborn" said:
Isn't ConceptOne the company that Jason uses on his Ecars?

It sure is Dave. I looked at the March kit but after talking to Jason i decided on the Concept One kit.....more expensive but it's very well made, cant fault it at all.

It's been a while since i updated my thread....I have been so so busy with work and the car. As you will see in the pics i've made a little progress.

I have had two hungarian guys working on my car. One of them specializes in Fiberglass and the other one does panel beating. I must say that i am very impressed with their work. They avoid using bondo/filler where possible and do not cut corners. They come and work in my shop so i can keep control of everything. They work evenings and weekends which allows me to get anything machincal done during the days before they arrive in the evening.

I borrowed a 10 tonne press from a friend and did a full rebuild on the rear end. I fabbed a temp holding bracket which my mounted onto my work bench.
DSC01759.jpg

Stripped down, degreased and power washed.
DSC01762.jpg

Pressing on the new bearings onto the pinion gear.
DSC01761.jpg

It worked out pretty good. i bought the rebuild DVD from http://www.badshoeproductions.com/ and found it very clear and straight forward. She is now a fresh 3.50 with a detriot locker.

Next i got the car down off the rotisserie and a friend shot some matt black on the front clip so i could get the front suspension in.
DSC01819.jpg

I also shot two coats of Lizard Skin on the front wheel arches and was delighted how they turned out. I might shoot one final coat.
DSC01823.jpg

The Hungarian guys arrived then and got started on the rear FG.
I decided to ditch the FG trunk and bought a steel one and Mustangs to fear bolt on spoiler. A much better option.
DSC01825.jpg

DSC01827.jpg

I am using the 3M 8115 panel adehive and its great stuff.
DSC01865.jpg

DSC01868.jpg

DSC01908.jpg

Next i had to the drivetrain in to try and replicate the weight and body postition of the finished car. i put about 150kg in the trunk to weight it down.
DSC01871.jpg

DSC01886.jpg

DSC01887.jpg

DSC01890.jpg

DSC01892.jpg

DSC01894.jpg

DSC01899.jpg

DSC01900.jpg

She is sitting very high without any weight.

After 3 hours and a call to Dave Sanborn I soon learned that a 428 will not go into an engine bay with Rod and Cutoms suspension, canton oil pan and a lakewood bellhousing...So the transmission and bellhousing came off and will be fitted from under the car.
DSC01910.jpg

DSC01911.jpg

The panel alligment was bad in places. here he had to build up the gap with weld and then reshape.
DSC01902.jpg

DSC01905.jpg

i decided to blank the Quarter panel lower trim panels but this created the potential problem of an air trap so i decided to make a vent into the rear wheel arch.
DSC01919.jpg

Upper and lower scoop installed
DSC01935.jpg

I was unhappy with the FG wings, they are flimsy and do not fit very well so i decided to use the original metal ones and bond the FG arches onto them.
DSC01912.jpg

DSC01914.jpg

And after cutting out the arch we discovered that the FG was very thin so Bela added another layer to strengten it up
DSC01936.jpg

i wasn't happy with the finish on the inside of the hood so the guys are sorting that out. They are using some sort of 2 pack heavy grade marine coating which will smooth out like gel coat.
DSC01931.jpg

After one coat, the next coat goes on tonight and then sanding.
DSC01939.jpg

How she sits now.....
DSC01943.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Excellent looking build so far! Great update.

I have some questions regarding the front FG "wings" or flares as we call them.

You stated "I was unhappy with the FG wings, they are flimsy and do not fit very well so i decided to use the original metal ones and bond the FG arches onto them."

Not exactly sure what you meant. Did you rivet/panel adhesive to the original fender, or did you cut the metal fender flare from the original fender and then mount the FG to the fender minus the cut metal flare? Any chance you could photo the inside of that fender after the flare/wing was attached?

Are you planning on blowing the car apart for painting, after fitting everything, in order to paint the under carriage?

Keep up the great work, and thanks for the updates!

Over on that side of the pond, fenders are called wings, hoods are called bonnets and trunks are called boots! kip (Got my "O" levels in Wales back in 79)

"ZFORCE" said:
Excellent looking build so far! Great update.

Not exactly sure what you meant. Did you rivet/panel adhesive to the original fender, or did you cut the metal fender flare from the original fender and then mount the FG to the fender minus the cut metal flare? Any chance you could photo the inside of that fender after the flare/wing was attached?

I cut the flare out of the FG ones and bonded them over the top of the orignal metal ones. I will shot some pics for you tomorrow but they will just look like the inside of the original "untouched" ones.

"ZFORCE" said:
Are you planning on blowing the car apart for painting, after fitting everything, in order to paint the under carriage?

I have the front clip painted already so i will prob drop the rear end and suspension out to apply the bed liner to the rear of the car. its only 6 bolts.

I got half of the exhaust installed today and all the front FG is now finished. I'll post more pics tomrrrow.

"Johnny M" said:
I am using the 3M 8115 panel adehive and its great stuff.

:nick

LoL - is that just an Eleanor thing???? LMAO :lol

Sorry - couldn't pass that up. But your car is looking AWESOME! I'm jealous of all the cool "goodies" too. Looks really nice.

Wow! Awesome progress.

Is this panel only tacked in along the top edge?
DSC01823.jpg

BTW, I love this shot!
DSC01892.jpg

"70_Fastback" said:
:nick

LoL - is that just an Eleanor thing???? LMAO :lol

HA - I knew someone would pick up on that....I noticed it while rereading my post but thought hey, I'll leave the reference...If its good enough for Nick, its good enough for me....

The big prize goes to the person that can spot the can of the real "good stuff" as used on Nick's shed/car build......

"Fast68back" said:
Wow! Awesome progress.

Is this panel only tacked in along the top edge?

The pic is a little deceptive...They are 1" welds...and all 4 sides are welded in. The

BTW, I love this shot!
DSC01892.jpg

I love this shot too, gives me a warm feeling...... :ecit

"Johnny M" said:
Disclaimer: The Gap filler in my workshop is not for automobile construction purposes.

I believe that Nick :nick used the great stuff - NOT for construction - but for preservation purpose!

Dang Johnny, you'll have that car on the road before I get out to the track this year!

This......

DSC01905.jpg

.... is a sign of a good bodyman.

Great stuff? Underneath the tailpanel? Looks like good progress Johnny and you lucked out finding a couple of talented helpers. I'm glad that our quick talk allowed you to get the motor installed. As soon as you said "the oil pan won't clear the crossmember with the bell up against the firewall" I remembered the exact thing happened to me w/my car. The only way to install an engine with a deep sump pan onto the crossmember is to drop it straight down... having the transmission connected to the engine prevents that.

For the benefit of others.... Johnny's FG body kit included full FG fenders. The fit of which is questionable. Sometimes it's easier to cut the flared portion off of the FG fender and bond it onto OE metal fenders than it is to correct design/fitment issues with the entire fender. The fenders on my sons car are full FG, but it took the shop a week to get them right.

Back