• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Official... What Do You Do For A Living Thread

After reading all this , I came to a conclusion : I am the dumbes dude of this forum.
but ............
I have a lovely wife ,
a daughter and son ,
a mustang ,,,,

and I am happy with the life i have !!!

"B67FSTB" said:
After reading all this , I came to a conclusion : I am the dumbes dude of this forum.

Uh, sure. You're just fixing high tech vehicles, rebuilding Mustangs, and conversing in a second language you taught yourself... :confu

"lethal289" said:
I work for a plumbing contractor. I wear many hats, but mostly a crew leader. Primarily in new construction, we do large (really large) residential homes. The last one completed was an 18000 square foot house with 6 bedrooms 3 full kitchens and 11 bathrooms including mens and womens locker room and a full hair salon. There was over 12000 feet of pipe installed in this home.

I have a feeling that when the owners move in that a whole lot more pipe is going to be layed....

From 15-27 I did most everything from construction, tending bar, UPS, Yellow freight, furniture moving, it goes on. 3 days before my 27th B-Day started the academy for CPD. Made Sgt after 5 years and they said if you ever want another promotion, got to school. Got my AD and made Lt in 2005. Currently the C/O of the central detention facility. I have almost 80 people directly under me that includes large scale prisoner transports. 16 months from joining the KMA club and being able to consider other things.

As always thanks to those that served,
but also, thanks to everyone here that is able to contribute to society in so many ways affect our lives every day.

I work for one of the top 15 largest Kitchen & Bath Cabinet Manufacturers in the Country. I head up our refacing division (Director of Sales and Development). It may not sound glamorous but my wife has a beautiful kitchen!

I started my working career as a Metallurgical and Materials Engineer working in a couple of different glass manufacturing plants. The first made window and mirror glass, the last one made bottles for a pretty well known local winery her in California. After a hand full of years I left the glass business and came to work for the family company. I am part owner and in charge of operations for a short line railroad.....yes every boy's dream....I get to play with trains for a living, although most of my days are spent pushing paper around.

Spent 5 years as an aircraft electrician for uncle sam right out of HS, after the service i worked in a warehouse while i worked in getting my A&P license. Got my license then the warehouse offered me a full time gig making about the same money, so i took it. Worked in warhouses ever since, clerk, inventory analyst. The came the Computer and i stumbled into an IT role. Now i babysit a warehouse management system for a third party logistics company. I hate it, but it pays the bills and lets me surf the board most of the day.....Apparently i dont have the personality or people skills to take on an upper management position.....

I started out as a process engineer in a couple printed circuit board manufacturing facilities. Now I work for networking / telecom gear OEM. For the most part I write code to automate an engineering application that I administer. For side jobs I've done several kitchen and bath remodels and some cabinet making.

I am an electrical engineer - not to be confused with an electronics engineer. I design & commission building systems; I.e. power, lighting, controls & automation - more for the LEED aspect and going greener. I also do "specialty" lighting designs for exterior applications ranging from commercial highway/roadway lighting, bridge lighting to more ornate landscaping and building facade lighting. The emergence of LED lighting is really opened up more possibilities for the exterior lighting world.

And one the side I dabble with melting steel into stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"70_Fastback" said:
I am an electrical engineer - not to be confused with an electronics engineer. I design & commission building systems; I.e. power, lighting, controls & automation - more for the LEED aspect and going greener. I also do "specialty" lighting designs for exterior applications ranging from commercial highway/roadway lighting, bridge lighting to more ornate landscaping and building facade lighting. The emergence of LED lighting is really opened up more possibilities for the exterior lighting world.

dont forget "sweater model" as one of your talents!! :thu

seriously, i've noticed some of the LED lighting lately that seems to be diffused a little better, not the straight light beam that they all used to be. you know of any new developments on that? i've had a few ideas i've been tossing around as far as LED, but that straight direct beam of light has held me back.

Your right Steve, LEDs are a point source light and always will be due to the nature of the diode. A refracting lens needs to be used to diffuse and/or an optical reflector is required to bend the wave and redirect it.

thats what i thought, but wasn't sure if something new had been developed. the ones i noticed were actually in a resteraunt & the mrs. wouldn't let me climb up on the table for a closer look (she's funny about stuff like that...).

back on topic...

i started my working career at 15, sweeping the floors at a glass & trim shop that did work for the body shop my dad was running at the time. he either worked in, ran or owned body shops all his life, even owned a ford dealership until the gas crunch hit in the mid 70's, so i've been around the auto field all my life. i started that first job to pay the owner for the new windshield & interior in my first mustang, then stayed on in a "paying gig". i've always been an observer & for the most part, if i can see how something is done, i can do it. after i had been there a few months, one of the guys got hurt & the owner had to take him to the hospital, so while they were gone, i finished up his jobs. the boss returned, saw what i had done & told me to get a toolbox together, i was being promoted. he kept telling my dad that he was going to teach me everything about the business, but taught just enough to keep me where i was, so when an opportunity arose at a local limo builder, i moved on to bigger & better things. i stretched vinyl tops on those for a few months until things slowed down a bit & layoffs happened...
i packed a bag & came to tn to help an uncle start a business, then a yr later ended up back in the auto glass business at another shop here. ended up staying there for 19 yrs, until it started taking a major toll on my shoulders, arms & back. others had went thru surgeries, came back & re-injured everything within 6 months, so decided against that route. the kids were grown so decided to just stay home & play with the cars/bikes & be creative. i grew up with a welder, sanding block & paint gun in my hand, so this was always a natural destination point for me, it just came a little earlier than planned with the injuries. i now get to do all the things i enjoy doing & even make a little money at times, which is a plus!!

"70_Fastback" said:
Your right Steve, LEDs are a point source light and always will be due to the nature of the diode. A refracting lens needs to be used to diffuse and/or an optical reflector is required to bend the wave and redirect it.

I don't know if you guys are familiar with the CA Lighting Technology Center at UC Davis, but they're doing a lot of cool stuff there with LEDs and other light sources. Check it out at http://cltc.ucdavis.edu/

I'm a Landscape Architect working for the last several years in construction management. My department has been focused a lot lately on city contracts with various agencies. I'm getting a little burned out dealing with the bureaucracy lately though and am considering a change.

"70_Fastback" said:

I need some cannon balls..........

I make drugs for a living. Well, actually I figure out how to make drugs for a living. I am a chemist at a relatively small biotech company. My job is to make the active ingredient for potential new drugs. Chemists in my department work from supplying clinical trials all the way to developing manufacturing conditions.

I'm a Ford senior master technician. I been working on Fords/Lincolns/Mercury's since 1991. I specialize in check engine lamps, tune ups, failed smog inspections, driveability concerns now, but have done everything in the past.

Got questions on new Fords? I have answers!

I work for the USPS as a MPE Technician. Been doing it since 92, basically work on the mail sorting machines. Before that I did a stint with a couple of smaller companies doing two-way radios, car stereos & cell phones. Most satisfying was with one of the smaller companies, they were a Motorola vendor. We had the contract for the local PD and built their cars.

Back