• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Official... What Do You Do For A Living Thread

I studied Hotel Management & Business in college, from there I went to London on a internship and project managed the installation of an interavtive TV system in a posh hotel. Once i finished that the IT company that designed the software offered me a job installing the same system in luxury hotels around the world in places like Dubai, India and the Carribean. Eventually I got bored of London and the travel and decided to come back to Ireland and join the family well drilling business. Over the last few years my 3 brothers have joined and with the injection of young blood we have now grown to be the biggest drilling contractor in Ireland and last year we bought and Oil rig and entered the Oil and Gas drilling market. Despite competition from long established international drilling companies we have just been awarded two major contracts with Hailliburton and Dart Energy which is the highlight of my career to date.

www.meehandrilling.com

My turn I guess...

I retired as a Sergeant Major after 26 years in Army Special Forces, and since then have been the United States Army Special Operations Command's (USASOC) Assistant Program Manager for SOF Weapons. We have a small horse farm not far from Ft. Bragg which takes up most of my free time...

We need to talk, there's a few things I "NEED" to pick up. Anyway I THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Also, there's a bunch of us shooting on the 14 April. "IF" there's anything you'd like to demo you've got an invite, heck, you got an invite anyway, it would be honor to have you as our special guest. We will be dropping rounds in from 2600+ yards in the "wild goat shoot". As fuzzy as my eyes are anymore, I hope I don't get the goat mixed up with the cows in the field next door. Let me know.

OK digging this thread up from the past only because I think that I am in for a change.

See if I can keep this brief:
After high school 4 years in the Air Force. In the Air Force I learned electronics (avionics). After the service went to Jr. College with hopes of being an engineer. That died when I could not pass calculus. OK. Got my AS degree and a piece of paper saying that I know something about electronics, while working part time for my uncles at their machine shop. Got a job working for a medical device company fixing returned items. Boring, could not stand being a bench tech. Got a job with Ford Aerospace testing circuit cards for heat seeking missiles. Lay off. Got a job doing field service for EAS (electronic article surveillance). Those annoying tags retail stores put on clothing and buzzes at the door if you try to shoplift. They did CCTV also. After 11.5 years got layed off from that job. Next an alarm company that mostly did public schools, fire and security alarms along with clocks, telephone and data. Next was Siemens doing access control and security with a company car. The commute was killing me. Found a security company 2 miles from my house with a company van. Great until the economy tanked here in SoCal, no new construction no work. Lay off. Got a job with an electrical company that has a division that only does security work. That lasted almost a year. Then a temp agency found me a job doing fire alarm inspections for a company. That company brought me on as a 1099 employee to continue doing the fire alarm inspections for a major grocery store. After the inspections were done he tried to find me some service work. A little here and a little there. He told me that he could not hire me full time. So I have been looking for a "real" job again. A dude found my resume online back in March, I talked to him. Said he would call me back after he got back from a vegas trade show. He called me today and it just so happened that I was working close to him. I stopped and had an interview and got hired. So now I have to do something that I have never had to do, give notice. I have to pee in a cup and pass the background check. I am clean so that is not a problem, my tickets worry me. I have a court date set for June 1st for my first speeding ticket. This job does come with a company truck (F150). So I may stop by tomorrow after the pee test and be upfront about the ticket(s) before I give my notice. Oh yea will be back to service and installing fire and security systems.

fd

Good luck. Clear the ticket thing first before giving notice for sure.

Back in '99, I took a job managing/driving employees (3 shifts) to work using a 15 pass. Ford van. Start date was in one week..... Needed a perfect driving record....which I had. Next day I get a BS ticket for following to close, given by a Az. DPS. Thinking fast, I asked for the next traffic class date and found I could take one the next weekend since the ticket date was right on the class deadline. Then, the new boss called and wanted me to start on the next Sat. Had to tell him I had a pre-arranged date I could not get out of..... Took the class, kept a clean lic., and told the boss about it in '07 or so when he sold the business....we had a good laugh. Loved that job.....

I am an outside salesperson for a wholesale distributor that specializes in material for the construction of utilities. Mainly electrical high voltage transmission / distribution, wind-farms, and communications - such as fiber optic networks. So, if you go out and look at a power pole, I sell all that crap on the pole.

Some one mentioned earlier in this thread LED lighting, we actually sell LED roadway lighting to the utilities. It is becoming quite popular with the energy savings from using LEDs.

Since I didn't catch this thread the first go-round I'll add mine to it now.
I've been a firefighter for 27 years, the last 17 as a shift lieutenant. I'm eligible for my retirement now but I enrolled in a program called DROP (deferred retirement option program) that basically locks in my pension, allows me to keep working and build a second pension fund. The only problem with it is I am required to retire after 8 years in the program although I'm sure I'll be ready to hang it up by then if not before.
In my younger years I worked in parts sales, everything from an international harvester dealership, a ford dealership, and a couple of chain parts stores. Also did a stint as a service tech in a chevrolet dealership for a few years very early on.

I'm graduating from my Undergrad this Saturday with a BS in Civil Engineering, and am headed to UT-Austin for my Masters in Structural Engineering. Once I do that I hope I can land a job at a larger firm designing high-rise buildings. Eventually I'd really like to teach at the university level, which would mean Ph.D., but we'll see how the next few years shake out.

My late father owned a commercial steel door business which I worked at over the summer breaks from the age of 12 to 20. He mostly ran the place himself with me doing summer labor--not bad for two people when we were pushing 7 figures gross. He passed away in April of 2010, and when I got home from school a few weeks later I took over entirely. I knew a little about the office stuff (bidding, estimating, etc...), but I had mostly worked as a fabricator. Over that summer I learned a great deal more about dealing with customers, solving construction issues, filing bids, etc... I even trained several people on how to do all those things and it's still a viable company.

I work at an Power Plant that supports a major Hospital in Rochester NY.

I am a Automation Tech. I make sure all the instrumentation is calibrated and working the way it should be.

We have some pretty impressive large scale equipment.

Our Biggest Chiller is 6,500 Ton and is driven by a Steam Turbine.

Our biggest Boiler Runs the High Pressure turbine which drives a generator capable of producing 18 Megawatts of electricity. This system runs 900# steam. Max output is 175,000lb

We also have a Low Pressure generator that can put out 7 Megawatts.

It's an exciting place to work, If a chiller or boiler goes down we have to act as fast as possible due to the 750 beds dependent on our Steam and Chilled Water.

Back