• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

The ***"Official"*** StangFix Drag car

"tarafied1" said:
okay, looks like I made a good deal with Bill for a full un-butchered 68 quarter panel. Thanks Bill for the great discount. Now to pay him and go get it!!!
http://www.stangfix.com/testforum/index.php/topic,9476.0/topicseen.html

On another note... the used dash pad has shrunk! It will not fit. Any ideas to "stretch it"??? or should I just buy a new one?

Glad we could work something out. Too bad you don't need a turn signal hood and have a flat hood to trade :lol
Bill

"guruatbol" said:
Too bad you are in KY or I could make that trade happen....

Mel

Too bad your in UT :craz
Still looks like it may happen between Apollard and I.
Bill

I do have a flat hood... with a hole in it!
index.php

"Jonk67" said:
An $850 torque converter, that's more than you've got into the car :$$$
I know but even for a C4, a high stall is very expensive! Seriously though, what do you guys think? Would be a good trans or should I stick with the C4?

I've heard the 4r70w are great trans. If I were going auto then it would be my first choice.
Bill

Thanks for the input. I would prefer a manual. Mark has one he'll sell me. I would need everything to convert the car to a stick shift but maybe around the same as expensive converters, crossmembers and computer or manual VB... etc. for the AOD. The C4 would probably be the best route for drag racing. I still need a lot for the C4. A 157 tooth flex-plate for the late model engine. Motor plate, high stall converter, rebuild, shift kit, etc. The engine was set-up for a T5, I have a flywheel and motor plate for the T5. Decisions decisions!

What flex plate do you need? I think I have a 28oz balance and a 50 oz balance for aods.
Bill

If everything I have read is correct or I understand it correctly, the AOD used a 164 tooth flexplate and was 50oz. The C4 uses a 157 tooth but is 28oz. Someone posted that the very rare 255 cid used a 50oz. 157 tooth flexplate. I can buy one from JEGS or Summit, they are pricey...

Too bad, I would have like to pawn it off on you :craz
But your right, I'm in the same boat with the t5 flywheel and 351w. Kinda an aftermarket only piece that aint cheap.
Bill

Mel, the C4 flexplate is a 28oz. imbalance and the the 94 5.0 needs a 50oz. I will have to get a custom made flexplate but thanks so much anyway!!!

Craig couldn't you get Mel's flex plate rebalanced to the 50oz. weight. IIRC most machine shops should be able to do it for you.

The block is pretty much the same, so IIRC you would need to change the harmonic balancer, which are a dime a dozen....Right?

Mel

it's not a case of whether it would bolt on. It will. Ford uses an external balance on the SBF. In the 80's they changed from 28oz. to 50oz. The harmonic balancer for the 5.0 wouldn't change. The problem is that for the AOD they went to a 164 tooth flexplate and the 50oz. This will not work on a C4 so I need a 157 tooth. However, most of the 157 tooth flexplates are 28oz. which won't work with the 5.0, now maybe it can be modified. Since I will be drag racing though I may as well just buy a SFI approved 157 tooth 50oz. flexplate. I like my feet!
Also the harmonic balancer is around $100 new for the older 302/289 cuz I just bought one for the 68 302 I'm rebuilding for a friend.

Back