• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

The ***"Official"*** StangFix Drag car

Okay, some questions for you guys.
I want/need to prep the cowl area behind the dash before I re-install the dash. I also want to add a torque box to the passenger side which seams to be missing on most 67's. I should weld that in first so the welding won't burn the paint thru the floorboard, right? Also, Should I pay the cost to soda blast the engine compartment (inside and out) and floorboard/toeboard? or just buy a cheap Harbor Freight sand blaster and do it myself? Or just wire brush and sand it, prep, prime and paint? It's not a show car but I want it to look good and last. Also as you all know I am paying for stuff as I go so waiting for funds will slow any progress. This is not a problem for me but since this is the Official StangFix drag car, I'd hate to stall it too much. You will all be wondering what I'm doing with all the stuff you sent me!!!
I'm leaning toward painting everything with Tractor Supply Ford tractor grey so it it won't show a lot like black.
Thanks for your input!!!

I would just wire wheel brush the engine bay and make sure to prep it well and pant it. I did that on the 67 and it is holding up very good. I think the painter added something to the paint to help it with the heat.

I would prep as much behind the dash that I could and then when you weld you will need to do those areas seperately, so if you use tractor grey, make sure you get enough so you don't have a die lot issue.

I wasn't sure if you could some of the stuff I sent, but would be cool to see if the triple gauge face plate worked in...

Mel

PS the face plate is probably from the 60s or so. I got it from my brother's Dad who had it hanging around his garage since I was about 6 or so. MH

"guruatbol" said:
I wasn't sure if you could some of the stuff I sent, but would be cool to see if the triple gauge face plate worked in...

Mel

PS the face plate is probably from the 60s or so. I got it from my brother's Dad who had it hanging around his garage since I was about 6 or so. MH
Mel,
thanks for all the goodies you sent. I will do my best to use everything. Not yet sure how to incorporate that piece. I don't see how it was mounted but I'm sure I can fab something... I need one more gauge too. I think I will try to put it under the radio area.

I am going to be pawing around in the garage, i forget which gauge you need, do tell... when I am digging around I may find the missing partner.

At one time I had a drawer full of SW gauges. That was the only type I would use in the 80s. So the ones I sent you were kinda vintage... I think new in the late 70s...

Mel

Thanks Mel, you sent me an Oil Pressure and AMP gauge. I have seen SW gauges at swap meets so I may be able to find a matching TEMP gauge.

"tarafied1" said:
all good points, the rules for drag racing include that the windows have to be up. Keeping cool inside there in the hot humid summer will be a challenge.

Do you have to run door window glass? What about removing them for weight savings and running nets?

Mel,
I guess it's only made for two gauges...

here is a picture of the goodies Mel sent me
index.php

Oh, I forgot that is for the air pressure gauge and the LP gauge I had when I inherited the 69 F100 rust bucket from My brother's Dad. It had an 80 gal or so LPG tank in the bed. Was cool back when LPG was .39 gal and gas was over $1.00. The 390 in there only got about 4 mpg on LPG.

I think that faceplate was for a big rig Frank Sr. was driving in the 60s and 70s. I have some SW air pressure gauges, if there is anyone who needs or wants them for a 4x4 project or something and can trade a SW temp gauge and sender???

I do hope you can use these parts, Craig.

Oh, I hope the solenoid works, I have been carting it around since early 80s.

Mel

I'm curious to know what's in the box marked 'GUAGES'....the suspense is killing me.
That dual gauge mount looks like it's out of an '78 TransAm?
More good scores Craig.

gotta love the track car poon...lol its awesome...now I cant wait to get my hands on that beast working on her...its going to be alot of fun...espically since it will be racing in my backyard...Woot

hey I have an after market sway bar for the front of my 67 I didn't use. I had always planned a MII or rack and pinion system. Can you use it. It is new never installed. i don't have the bushings anymore though....

Mel

I don't think drag cars use a anti sway bar, but thanks!

no major progress but I have been digging out all my parts to see what I have and what I need. Also cleaning up the hardware and putting the dash all together... found most everything but the headlight switch bezel & retainer and radio bezel. When I get a big enough list I will order some stuff from CJ Pony Parts. Most of what I have is from a 68 including a used black dash pad, but it will work okay.
I'm also cleaning off the sealer goop on the firewall/floor boards so I can paint (if it's not too cold!). I also need to patch a couple holes, I think they are from the dealer installed AC drain holes, they are in the trans tunnel.

I would think buy new.....the old will possibly crack and you do not want that happening as you drive to the winners circle......

You could do a '68 qtr on one side, a '67 on the other just to confuse some....tell them it was a mid year production on a Monday.

If I were able to acquire a certain 4R70W, would that be an okay trans for the drag car?
converter choice
http://www.dirtydogperformance.com/converters/ford/4r70w-/-aode/9-5-inch-billet-4r70w/prod_11.html
and for about $300 I can get a manual VB that won't require a computer...
Full Manual Valve Body $289.00

AODE / 4R70W Stage 3 Full Manual Shift Kit, shifts to all 4 gears. 4th gear (overdrive) works with a toggle switch. No computer needed. Comes complete with a vacuum modulator to control the pressure

Back