• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

We all know fastbacks are king but...

What bodystyle is your mustang?

• Coupe

Votes: 37 37.0%
  • Convertible

Votes: 11 11.0%
  • Fastback (2+2)

Votes: 52 52.0%

• Total voters
"70 StangMan" said:
As far as the Shows go...I look and slobber over all the different years and body styles because after all they are all classic Mustangs. ( except :Mark's , on a roll back is not very interesting )

I've owed 2 classic couples, a 65 and 67. What irk's me, even though I now own a fb, is that I often see some fantastic coupe's at shows, really well-done, passed over with the awards going to cheesy FB's or poorly done Shelby clones. Any FB with up+over stripes somehow holds the attention of the uninformed masses.

I know the majority of people today like the fastback most, it wasn't long ago the verts brought the big bucks. The coupe is the red headed stepchild. I agree any Mustang is cool and I'd love to have another fastback (I've had three). I would also love to have a vert, but the coupe is what I had first and it just formed my preference I guess.
I need a retractable hardtop with one of those fiberglass fastback tops to have all three.... or maybe just 3 Mustangs.
My all time favorite car ever, is a red 68 GT500KR vert. My next favorite would be a 70 Boss 302. Since I will never own either one of those I just made my rusty junker 67 coupe as cool as I thought I could and I love it. Wouldn't trade it for a fastback or a vert (unless it was either of the before mentioned Mustangs!)

"70 StangMan" said:
Bottom line (for me) is driving down the road and seeing ANY old Mustang on the road gets my undivided attention. Year, Body style etc, etc, doesn't matter. I just love to see them out on the road. As far as the Shows go...I look and slobber over all the different years and body styles because after all they are all classic Mustangs. ( except :Mark's , on a roll back is not very interesting )

You can KMA biotch, my car's never been on a rollback. Trailer, yes, but no rollback.

if lower production numbers make it better, are the notchback (read coupe) fox bodies better then the hatch back models? :hide

"RapidRabbit" said:
Now you've opened up a whole new can of worms.
70 was the best year. They got it dead on for the muscle look.
65/66 were secretaries cars.

Again, if you look at my sig, I'm somewhat torn. But 6 started to get the muscle look, but the 70 just nailed it.

And 34isgreat, thanks for the avatar compliment

"SAC69" said:
I've owed 2 classic couples, a 65 and 67. What irk's me, even though I now own a fb, is that I often see some fantastic coupe's at shows, really well-done, passed over with the awards going to cheesy FB's or poorly done Shelby clones. Any FB with up+over stripes somehow holds the attention of the uninformed masses.

It could be worse...the local car club has a show once a year.

Last year the local Camaro club showed up in large numbers. Nothing with a blue oval was going to win a darn thing that day. There were some darn nice Ford products out there that won nothing. A few cheesy bow tie cars did win.

Not so sure I am even going to bother going to that show this year. Guess I could enter the Trans Am and the Mustang just to be safe but the TA really needs paint. It has some chips here and there. Looks ok from about 10 foot back and at 15 feet you might mistake it for a show car :roll

I have five old Mustangs ALL fastbacks. So wanna guess which one I voted for......

To me the coupes is almost an entirely different car, wife thinks the same thing. I mean I do love ALL Mustangs, and bleed Ford blue, but the coupes never did do anything for me. Even when I was a kid, my aunt Jan would pic my and my little brother up to take us to spend the night at my grandparents.

She had a 65 coupe, my uncle on the other side of the family who had a problem with alcohol ended up getting killed in his coupe so there have been Mustangs in my life all though growing up......I just don't like coupes.

"M-train" said:
...I just don't like coupes.

I'm just the opposite. Never like the 2+2 in the 60's and don't really like them today. Guess that's what makes the world go around. :roll

"67 Fastback" said:
Although I own a 67, I think the 70 is the epitome of the TRUE pony car design. Sleak and sexy.

Bill

Agreed.

1969-1970 is a MUSCLE car. 65-66 is a feminine, cute little pony car.

Fixed it for ya

"Waffles" said:
Agreed.

1969-1970 is a MULLET car. 65-66 is a slick, stylish little pony car.

Please don't take it seriously, I just had to get in on the action. LMAO

I think I have it all figured out. It's all about the top. People like Convertibles when they take the top down, they even make a fiberglass Fastback removable tops for Convertibles. Fastback owners will take a rust bucket and remove the Fastback top to put it on another Fastback or Coupe. Coupe owners will remove their top and try and make a Fastback or sometimes even a Convertible, but no one ever tries to make a Convertible or Fastback into a Coupe.

What it all boils down to is that Coupes are just entry level Mustangs. Just an observation, no offense, it is what it is. BTW have I ever mentioned that my 2nd car was a '66 Coupe?

"lethal289" said:
The real question is who has driven their mustang this year (I Have). I think the coupes get more use.
I have driven mine from KY to FL and all the way up ti MI and then back home in 7 days! More miles on that one trip than most FB's drive in a year!
I agree no one tries to make a coupe from one of the others, and I can see why the uneducated might call it "entry level" :hide
They are typically the lower optioned cars but that is one of there advantages. The weight savings! The coupe tends to be bare bones and they all ready weigh less than the FB and vert. Plus the coupe roof has more head room for your helmet! :thu

"lethal289" said:
The real question is who has driven their mustang this year (I Have). I think the coupes get more use.
1. I drive mine all year ( unless it's 104 degrees or 32 )
2. I think it's even on usage.

We only get about 5 months of the year to drive my car , but with exception of this summer I put about 3000 miles a summer on my car. I take it to work a couple days a week( 40 miles one way) plus general cruises.
This year I sat in it with the top down and made engine noises.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

"lethal289" said:

Drove mine to work on Friday and took it to a local car meet tonight.

There was a photographer there taking pictures with some models. I am working on getting a copy of the pictures :roll

Back