• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Project POS '67 Coupe

Don't worry about Joe, it would have been nice to shave off a little time but no biggie. I guess we could cut it like a vert, don't need the roof and behind the front seat floor pans? What do ya think? With the rear end off it should be pretty light, either way if you want to leave it on so it rolls?

hell, by the looks of the pics, just hit it with a hammer, and it will break in two. You dont need to cut anything. :)

Once you get it cut apart, hit the rear half with a hammer and when the rust falls off, it will weigh about 100 lbs. less.........then you can fold it up and mail it.

If your gonna trailer it, I'd just cut it at the A pillars, that way you'll have as much of the roof as you need. just my $.02

No, not really. What's weird is that the trunk looks pretty solid.... with the exception of the rearmost crossmember panel (that would be hidden up underneath the rear valance/bumper.

The tailpanel is solid except for the outer edges.

The rear quaters are solid except for the pin-holes... no large areas of rust through.

The car has definitely rusted differently than the usual cars around here.

There is zero rust on the floorbaords from the seat risers rearward.

Where exactly do you want the cuts made Craig?

Cut the roof off, easy enough.

The floor cut? Straight across from just forward of the rear door jambs (just forward of the C pillar)?

I'll make the cuts with the rear suspension still installed and see how well it moves around. If it's difficult to manuever, I'll remove the rear suspension and two adults should be able to lift that small amount of metal easily.

I believe I may have a fairly good rear bumper, valance panel, and end caps. Anything else you need for the trailer conversion? The tail-light buckets I got with the car are in a box I haven't looked at yet, but I assume them to be there.

Since the 14th has lost it's benefit, do you still want to do it that weekend? It's all up to you. The work I have to do to get the car ready is minimal.... you're the one that's making that long drive. From the Nashville area right? If it's any value, I've made it to the I-40 NC/TN border in approx. 7 hours, but I was moving at a pretty good clip.

The roof cut..... exactly where do you want it Craig?

Does the trailer design in your head include any of the Coupe's roof? I assumed you'd want it cut somewhere near the lead seam on the C pillar and not use the roof at all.

Again, it's all up to you. I can cut it anywhere!

Or of you're bringing a full size car trailer, not at all.

It's completely up to you!

I do have a full size car trailer, since it won't be Joe and I in a parking lot transfering it from trailer to trailer maybe uncut is fine. We should be able to drag the suspensionless shell onto the trailer at your house. Otherwise at the lead seams would be good, that roof is too far gone to try and use any of it. My thought would be to retain some of the floor in front of the rear seat so when it's stationary the rear seat could be used...
The date is flexable, no rush on my part so take your time. Yes, I'll be coming from the Nashville area.

If you happen to have it, sure.

It never fails that I give things away only to need them a few months later.

There's nothing left on the '67's front suspension that I would re-use but the spindles and centerlink. If you got 'em, bring 'em and I'll just leave the car a roller for you.

where on the coast are you? I need to mapquest the drive to decide when best to come. I'm probably 5hrs or so from the TN/NC border so that would be about a 12hr drive give or take.

I'm thinking I'll do something like this but with the seat area open...
67Mustangtrailer.jpg

... like this, with no roof though
756071051_22e41978a4.jpg

Whatever you want to give up I'll take but if all I get is the shell that's cool cuz I can round up the other little stuff. Thanks Dave!

New Bern, NC

It's pretty much a straight shot across on I-40. Just after Raleigh you'll want to exit I-40 and get on Hwy 70 East. My house is right off of this road.

Non-PS centerlink is fine.

You're welcome to any of the cars pieces that you'll need to make the trailer.

thanks Dave, Mapquest says 12 hrs. I'll probably drive out, stay overnight in a hotel. Hook up with you on a morning to load it up and head back. The 14th won't work for me cuz I have a big meeting 12th & 13th so I'll be travelling already. Any other dates good for you?

No hurry from my side either, don't want to be a PIA! :scar

Craig,

By this Sunday afternoon I'll have the drivetrain removed and the car ready for you to pick up. My weekends are pretty much free until March..... we've got some weekend/holiday parties lined up for the next couple of months, but nothing out of town and nothing that's going to stop me from meeting you at the car.

Are you going to be around the week of Thanksgiving, say the Tuesday before? I'm off that week. I could drive over Monday...

"tarafied1" said:
Are you going to be around the week of Thanksgiving, say the Tuesday before? I'm off that week. I could drive over Monday...

Yep. I'll be here.

I got the engine/trans out of the car first thing Sat. morning. Everything removed from the car is stored away and the roller shell with all of the rear pieces.... deck lid, end caps, rear valance, fuax side scoops, tail-light buckets, rear seat and side panels.... is patiently awaiting your arrival.

Dave, is that T-Handle on the shifter worth saving? I've been wanting one of the black-leather(esque) wrapped handles for mine. Hard to tell from the pictures if it's just dusty, or if it's gone.

Let me know if you're interested in selling it.

Hmmm.... I can't remember the condition of the shifter handle.... I remember that the shaft itself had some light surface rust along it's length, but didn't take notice of the actual handle.

I'll take a look and let you know.

Back