• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

The ***"Official"*** StangFix Drag car

I'm in the scoop on a coupe club with Johnpro's hood on my 65.

Craig, I will be shipping some things out to you early next week. Maybe even Friday. I had some changes in travel plans. We rotate who drives and we had some cancellations and well I am kind of low on the rotation right now since I was out most of the summer!

Mel

don't do anything special on my account. I appreciate the help but don't expect you jump thru hoops for me. Thanks so much

not trying to screw up the order of things, but heres a pic of what i was recommending you do with the front edge of the qtr at the door if the gap is too tight. just did this today on the 36 to open up the front door/cowl gap. the door edge was right against the cowl with no gap when i started. still need to finish welding & grind, but you get the idea.
IMG_2338.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Steve, that's what I envisioned when you described it. I may still have to do that but when I got the rear clamped down and started working the roof area it fit better. I think just a little hammer and dolly work and it will be good.

hmmmm..... more paint ideas, the 69 body lines are closer to the 67. gives a little more visual on how to lay out on the 67.
gallery13.jpg

race1.jpg

rustycar1.jpg

thanks John.
I got the dash that I cut out cleaned up of all the excess metal from cutting it out. Used a spot weld cutter and and grinder. Then I used some engine cleaner and pressure washed the engine compartment. I blasted the dash too while it was out. I found a place in Bowling Green that does soda blasting, I'm gonna see what they will charge to blast it before I put it in. If it's too much I'll just wire brush it. It has a couple holes drilled under the radio area so I need to weld those up. The headlight switch area was bent up, I used the hammer and dolly to flatten it out.
I'm thinking I should have the hood set up in the back to let the air out, do you all think that looks stupid?

You out to win races or look good? If propping the back of the hood up is going to benefit the car and its times, then do it. You're building a drag car not a show car.

I would rather see vents in the rear of the hood to vent the heat.....

There are other ways to gain the same benefit of the rear of the hood raised.

Is it a real benefit for racing?

At speed, wouldn't it act like a cowl hood and pick up air into the engine bay off of the windshield?

I'm not sure Pete, I've just seen it done and figured the grille is letting in a lot of air that has nowhere to go.
"RyanG85" said:
You out to win races or look good? If propping the back of the hood up is going to benefit the car and its times, then do it. You're building a drag car not a show car.
it's not going to built for show but I do want to look good!

Do some research.....I read several articles that at low speeds it was ok.....high speeds it created hot spots based on air flow oddities.

"tarafied1" said:
I'm not sure Pete, I've just seen it done and figured the grille is letting in a lot of air that has nowhere to go.it's not going to built for show but I do want to look good!
I hear ya! I think the pic you posted was on the extreme end. I'm not very well educated in drag racing, just saying you should do whatever it takes to benefit the car.

Remember, you will be bracket racing...... consistency rules the day, not speed.

good point, I could bracket race with a PT Cruiser :scar JK, Mark you are so right. But I do want to be fast too! I'm hoping to get mid 7's (eventually)

I recently got a email from the junkyard that had that linciln 9in for sale and I am not sure what line you have on a rear....but I remember reading that you have a 4.11 pumpkin for a 9in and also if I remember correctly it had moser axles and just got media blasted and just needed to be reassembled. just a thought.

"fordrule" said:
I recently got a email from the junkyard that had that linciln 9in for sale and I am not sure what line you have on a rear....but I remember reading that you have a 4.11 pumpkin for a 9in and also if I remember correctly it had moser axles and just got media blasted and just needed to be reassembled. just a thought.
Jason has offered a 9" housing but I may buy that one anyway, do you remember what he wanted for it? I know that Versailles 9" will bolt in since I have one in my other Mustang.

Back