• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

The ***"Official"*** StangFix Drag car

Craig,
I'd rather keep all 3 gauges intack together. Hopefully someone will have a single gauge lying around. Will check out your list for other possible items to donate.

Craig, I picked up the motor mounts from Dave S tonight, as well as some other misc parts, an oil pump, starter solenoid, lower control arm eccentric bolt, and maybe a couple other things I can't remember. Dave was also on the list for some wiring, but we couldn't remember what that was. If you need anything else from him, let me know and I'll pick it up this week before I head home. I'll add this stuff to the box with the hood hinges and export brace and get it headed your way next week.

Sam

WOW thanks! as for the wiring, I need the ALT and engine sending unit wiring if he has those. Thanks again everyone! After going to the drag races this weekend I am getting really pumped up about getting this thing out for some test and tune runs!!!

I picked up the dash and brake pedal support bracket today. $50 to do both. They look great. Now I need to contact the powder coater. I also talked to the soda blaster about doing the engine compartment. He hasn't given me a price yet but based on the dash and bracket I'm guessing it won't be too bad.

Craig, have you worked with soda before? You have to be sure to neutralize it before you do anything with paint or a coating. I use vinegar and water. The local soda guy will do a whole car for $800-1000, so you should be able to get the engine compartment for $100-200 or so.

Will check with Dave on the wiring, if he doesn't have it I might still have both of those myself. I have a box of old wiring I've been waiting for my car to be 100% done before I send it all down to Randy.

thanks Dave, not a big deal if you guys don't have or can't find this stuff. I really appreciate the help.

If Dave can't find it (typical sex life issue of his), I believe I have Shag's original wiring.

"sigtauenus" said:
Craig, have you worked with soda before? You have to be sure to neutralize it before you do anything with paint or a coating. I use vinegar and water. The local soda guy will do a whole car for $800-1000, so you should be able to get the engine compartment for $100-200 or so.

Will check with Dave on the wiring, if he doesn't have it I might still have both of those myself. I have a box of old wiring I've been waiting for my car to be 100% done before I send it all down to Randy.
no I haven't worked with soda before, there is white powder all over the parts. Do I need to wash it off with vinegar and water? Can I prime the parts if I'm going to have them powder coated or wait to see what the powder coater wants to do?

We'll see if Dave finds his stuff lol, I'm not ready for the wiring yet so no hurry. If he can't sounds like I might have some options. Thanks again guys!!!

hey craig what kind of raidiator are you using for the drag car. janshultz is including a larger 68 radiator with the engine in OKC...we might be able to do a swap if the 68 would benefit the drag car better due to size and fitment. just an idea?

The radiator Rusty Red sent is a nice aluminum two core for a 65/66. It is a bit narrow for the 67 engine compartment but I like how light it is. I'll post a pic when I get a chance.

Thanks Sam.

I used a self etching primer from NAPA and then Valspar Industrial/Tractor black paint and painted the brake pedal support bracket. I also painted the pedal, the ends of the pin and the clip with engine paint. I think the assembly looks pretty good. Still haven't heard from back from the powder coater on the dash.

"fordrule" said:
hey craig what kind of raidiator are you using for the drag car. janshultz is including a larger 68 radiator with the engine in OKC...we might be able to do a swap if the 68 would benefit the drag car better due to size and fitment. just an idea?
here is the rad sitting in the engine compartment

Looking nice, since you have no place to plug in the Coke-a-Cola sign in your garage, I could find a plug for it in my shop. :good :coo

"tarafied1" said:
Thanks Sam.

I used a self etching primer from NAPA and then Valspar Industrial/Tractor black paint and painted the brake pedal support bracket. I also painted the pedal, the ends of the pin and the clip with engine paint. I think the assembly looks pretty good. Still haven't heard from back from the powder coater on the dash.

Craig, the parts look good! What did you use to neutralize the soda? I forgot to reply to your question about the prep. The soda is obviously basic and the vinegar is slightly acidic. You can use other acids, but vinegar is cheap and easy to work with. Many reports are made of paint literally falling off a panel after soda blasting due to improper prep. The powder you saw was residue from the soda. Its not all bad though, the soda residue protects the metal from flash rust so you can leave bare metal inside for several weeks or more without rust problems. As I said though, the downside is it needs to be removed before paint.

Back