• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Why were you banned??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used to live and breathe the VMF
I think that's why any one of these threads generates so much interest... and I agree with your observation that every social gathering, online or not has it's share of "clicks". I still read it, comment occasionally... But this site is the 1st one I got to now... Even during Football season!! :craz

No banning for me. But it wasn't for lack of effort. Back when cmayna was banned, I had some very heated conversations in PM's with bob and Brian. It still amazes me that I didn't get booted. Funny thing is when they put everyone's PM's back that were lost duringtheir recent upgrade, mine were lost. Imagine that. I'll glance over there once a day or so, maybe post something once a week or so. Other than that, all my friends are here. I enjoy this group. I just wish I could get on more.

Haven't been banned, but every post I've made since August (with the possible exception of the one I just made about the NorCal poker night ... haven't checked it for modifications by an a moderator yet) was either changed by a moderator that didn't like what I said, or just flat out deleted by them. I don't bother posting there anymore, since I have no idea if it will be there the next day, or what it will actually say the next day if it's still there.

Quoted from Randy AKA Midlife, "Most who have been banned probably won't know the precise reasons. For some reason, the moderators (and I was one for a long time) over there won't take the time to warn the offender, or otherwise give a reason. When I brought this up in their Moderator's Forum, I was chastised for this approach. The philosophy appears to be to delete entire threads rather than take the time to excise the offending remarks from the post or delete the response to the thread. Sort of like using an ax when a scalpel is needed.

"That is really the basis of my wondering. It seems that people, posts and threads disappear and just leave everyone hanging. Your idea should have been implemented immediately! You can't learn from the disappearing trick, and it does not allow anyone to benefit...and then history repeats.

Oh yeah and just recently I posted that after the big change in management that the VMF didn't seem the same, that thread was gone so fast, I forgot I wrote it!

Thanks for clearing up the mystery, guys, now I can go outside and play, that and the fact that the flu has passed, literally, if you know what I mean!

I wrote up my whole history as a reply here.....and POOF! it was gone. :scar
Seems I'm getting edited even here. :lol :lol :lol

Key phrases in my banning:
"You need to get out more"
"Its not PhotoShopped"
"Allen Hunt is a real person" :dh :dh :dh

I can't say for sure what happened to my VMF account. I don't think I was officially banned, but my user account is totally gone now and all of my old posts have "Guest" as the user ID. I have never been given any explanation for why this is. Having started with the old bulletin board version of VMF back in the mid 90's, you'd think that I would at least get an explanation. I can't imagine how many thousands of posts I made, helping others and learning. It is a shame and very hurtful to think about.

I was a super moderator on the site, one of only 2 that I am aware of (me and brian). I did not flaunt this status and didn't really do much moderating other than moving a post now and then or deleting spam posts. Back in July, I had a personal conflict of interest with Bob Dooley and decided to stop participating on VMF because of this. I sent him a personal message, explaining this and told him to remove my moderator privileges. I never got a response to that PM, not an e-mail, not even a phone call. Bob showed his true colors with how he handled my situation and unfortunately only validated my reasons for leaving. In the month or so after I left VMF, I had received some PM's from members asking me questions. I decided to let them know that I had left and responded to their messages. I also let them know that they could find me on concoursmustang.com, but since that was a censored word on VMF, they couldn't see it in the messages that I sent. It was shortly after this that my user ID was totally removed from VMF. I can only suspect that it was because of these messages I sent that I was banned/removed. Although, as mentioned, never got any notice from Bob or anyone on VMF.

So, there's my VMF "banning" story. I actually feel no ill-will towards VMF, especially the members. My only problem was with Bob. I am glad to see most of the old faces here on SF, it feels like VMF did a long time ago before all the censoring began.

"KBMWRS" said:
I wrote up my whole history as a reply here.....and POOF! it was gone. :scar
Seems I'm getting edited even here. :lol :lol :lol

Key phrases in my banning:
"You need to get out more"
"Its not PhotoShopped"
"Allen Hunt is a real person" :dh :dh :dh

Tell me you're not serious. All moderation actions are logged and I review them daily. There are 3 instances of posts being moderated in this thread. None of them involved you and none included a deletion.
:wtf

I don't think anyone was ever really banned, some people had alot of their posts deleted for a number of reasons and they decided to banish themselves. I use both forums and feel welcome in both. Maybe I am not controversial enough... :lol

Sluggo, I believe he was referring to a post in the older version of Old Farts Lounge, where we deleted the entire forum before starting this one with the single rule of no dissing others outside of the forum where they cannot defend themselves.

To KBMRS: your post was not the cause of the deletion.

Just to complete my story, here are my last two posting I believe. I also e-mailed bob about having my account deleted but I didn't get so much as a ***** reply.

9/27/09...I posted this as a response in nicks thread after many others commented like things.

"I did not realize this had become a site that could not handle a negative comment or a little kidding. Or is that reserved for a select few to comment concerning "certain" individuals? Many posts have comments that do not just bless the work someone has done. Some have even criticized that I own a Coupe. Big deal. If this build was posted in several posts instead of one long one, I doubt there would be anything said about a comment now and then. Most people would also respond with an answer to postings concerning why something was done or not done. So, I guess this guy is "special" so we should handle with kid gloves.......lol This is a good site but if one can no longer voice an opinion concerning a job posted here, what is next......."

I was told I was pushing it or something like that.

9/279/09... The first few lines were posted by someone else, I quoted and replied as a response in nicks thread.

* Quote:

Too bad Bob can't clean up/remove half the crap on this thread so that people wouldn't have to flip through 100 posts of rambling just to find one about the build. A separate build log forum may alleviate this issue.

What no critiques? So novice beginers to the hobby, thinking this is the correct way to restore a car will copy Nick's building techniques? You will be setting back the hobby 30 years.

Last time I checked this is a forum. If Nick does not want negative comments he can feel free to stop posting here and just post on his blog.

AzPete
VMF Full-Timer
AzPete
Loc: Panama City...or not...
Reg: 04-13-05

09-29-09 03:38 PM - Post#2130195

By 4pm, I was banned forever. Of course, the entire post was soon gone......

I got an idea. Let's put all this stuff behind us and just go on from today. Maybe I'm naive but frankly I'm not sure why we're rehashing this over again. Merry Christmas everyone.
Stan

+1

Seems like such a waste of time and energy, I for one will move on.

Someone asks, I answer. Kinda like asking about doing business someplace. I will give an answer, good or bad, about the quality of service.

"aslan" said:
I got an idea. Let's put all this stuff behind us and just go on from today. Maybe I'm naive but frankly I'm not sure why we're rehashing this over again. Merry Christmas everyone.
Stan
Sometimes talking about it helps people that have been scorned (read: Pete) heal. :naug Otherwise i see no point in continuing to jump up in arms when people talk about their personal problems. Things continue to happen and so things come up "over again". Don't worry, we know this is about the mustangs, and don't have to be told in every thread that mentions the VMF. God bless and Merry Christmas.

"Sluggo" said:
Tell me you're not serious. All moderation actions are logged and I review them daily. There are 3 instances of posts being moderated in this thread. None of them involved you and none included a deletion.
:wtf

Well sort of.....I think Midlife explained it. I was replying when you changed the location. My post was nevermore....Hey no problem its all for fun.

It's of little consolation to me at this point, since I choose not to participate on VMF due to my issues with Bob. Although, if Bob were to make the wrong right, I would be happy to join in again.

I disagree with all of you people. I think this type of post should surface way more often so I can share my spiritual thoughts such as:

7665_b~Dude-WTF-Posters.jpg

and:

CantWeAllGetABong.jpg

and:

8344_b~Amazingly-Enough-Posters.jpg

and of course at the next StangFix Admin dinner:

22028Y~Childhood-Buds-and-suds-for-dinner-Posters.jpg

You see? If the rest of you followed these type of ideas, we wouldn't be dissing other forums. We'd be just one happy family.

"aslan" said:
Stan

Stan, is it now acceptable behavior on VMF to mention what they used to call "competing" forums (what the competition actually is was only known to administrators)? Until they get off their hypocritical high horse about this, I'll continue to participate in posts like this that help set the record straight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back